Chocolate store in Leonardtown?

FancyBelle

I'm 2 old 2 die young!
They have a really nice little nursery in the parking lot of the old Bell Motor Used car lot. All local plants and seasonal. Young lady working there told me that they are getting an Italian restaurant in the building there and in the far corner of the parking lot is going to be a Dunkin Doughnuts.

luvmygdaughters

Because it seems like people keep opening these places that are destined to fail,and it's obvious they will to all but them. A chocolate shop in an already crowded market. Chocolate is everywhere. Why would anyone go to a place that will have to charge more? I'll admit,I'm a fan of big box stores and don't give a crap about local businesses. I do everything online or at Target,period. I've never set foot in most of the small businesses here and don't care to - they overcharge and how much service does anyone need? Small,local places like to say they offer more service in trade for the higher prices,but in reality unless you're someone who needs instructions on your shampoo you can figure things out on your own. One can say this isn't a popular opinion but the proof is in the profits. And businesses like Amazon and Walmart smoke the locals every time. They pay crap,and they use foreign suppliers. But I don't care. I'll buy from a Chinese,a Filipino,or an American based on price and quality,not "patriotism". My experience with the few local businesses I've dealt with is that they tend to think they can make their own rules,since they are the owners and screw you if you disagree. I'm honestly surprised any local businesses survive.

I am just the opposite. I will go ten miles out of my way to avoid going into a Walmart. I do shop at Target. I go to Mckays Groceries in Leonardtown, the Sunoco station in Leonardtown for hubbys beer, I like the Rex and the Pub, although both are just a little too crowded for me at times and don't necessarily agree with the smoking policy at the Pub. My husbands son frequents the restaurant where the old CVS used to be. I like the First Friday events that Leonardtown has every month. I think a chocolate shop would work on the square, Big Larrys seems to do quite a business and the Christian Gift store. I like to support the locals businesses when I can.

spinner

Not just The Fuzzy Farmers, but Caught My Eye, and Opal's Gallery are in Leonardtown. The chocolate shop that closed didn't close from lack of business, it was a different reason. A chocolatier would do quite well there. I really wish we could attract a bakery. Leonardtown is trying very hard to be a destination for arts and entertainment, with special events and concerts. It is a great little town and I'm anxious to see what is going in the pet shop building. Did you all know The Yellow Door has some great art classes for kids and teens? Adults classes as well.

spinner

Yes, I have, although its been awhile. I think they've improved because I did look in their window just a couple weeks ago and it looked a lot more exciting than it was when I dropped in a couple of years ago.
Thank you, I hope you'll stop in our shop next time you are in Leonardtown. Our display change frequently as most of us love to try different things and we want to keep the display seasonal. Right now I'm thinking hand dyes cotton gauze scarves and shawls. Guess I better get busy.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Thank you, I hope you'll stop in our shop next time you are in Leonardtown. Our display change frequently as most of us love to try different things and we want to keep the display seasonal. Right now I'm thinking hand dyes cotton gauze scarves and shawls. Guess I better get busy.

Fuzzy Farmer is yours? I LOVE your store!! You have seen me in there several times hugging all your merchandise. I'm madly in love with the goat's milk soaps. :yay:

lovinmaryland

Not just The Fuzzy Farmers, but Caught My Eye, and Opal's Gallery are in Leonardtown. The chocolate shop that closed didn't close from lack of business, it was a different reason. A chocolatier would do quite well there. I really wish we could attract a bakery. Leonardtown is trying very hard to be a destination for arts and entertainment, with special events and concerts. It is a great little town and I'm anxious to see what is going in the pet shop building. Did you all know The Yellow Door has some great art classes for kids and teens? Adults classes as well.

I also like the idea of the bakery in town or a good cheese monger would be lovely as well!

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
I also like the idea of the bakery in town or a good cheese monger would be lovely as well!

A real bakery would make me so happy, as would cheese that isn't somd staple provolone. Im always down for small coffeehouses too. bonus points if they can make a lavender iced coffee to go with my baguette.

spinner

Fuzzy Farmer is yours? I LOVE your store!! You have seen me in there several times hugging all your merchandise. I'm madly in love with the goat's milk soaps. :yay:

Thank ewe, we are a co-op of all women so we all have a stake in the shop. Those goat milk soaps are great, the oatmeal is my favorite.

tipsymcgee

They are on the right track, but they have to be careful not to try to be another Annapolis or Berlin....they will never get that kind of foot traffic or overnight stays, period. They need to figure out what to do on the waterfront. If all they have is this park where you walk and bring your lunch, that's not going to cut it. I thought there were plans to develop down there with restaurants, etc., and that's been years ago. If Winegardner moves over to 235 as there is rumor about, that's going to open up yet another huge hole, but would be a perfect spot for big antique shop or microbrewery. They also need a museum of some type. Things like a museum, antique store, brewery, etc, will keep people there longer than the small specialty stores, and drive more money to the restaurants, etc. To me, it's a beautiful spot, but things are too far spread out to give it the feel it needs, and too much vacant memories or stores that don't lend themselves to that kind of feel -- Florists, funeral homes, lawyers offices, cleaners, banks, insurance offices, etc. I did hear someone was putting a contract or interested in the old bank building at the end of the square. But it will never totally flourish unless they get the waterfront right IMO.

luvmygdaughters

I think they need to start cleaning it up a bit too. They finally got rid of those two old ramshackle houses that used to be in the lot across from Mattinglys Funeral home. They need to get rid of those old run down buildings behind the firehouse too.

LtownTaxpayer

They are on the right track, but they have to be careful not to try to be another Annapolis or Berlin....they will never get that kind of foot traffic or overnight stays, period. They need to figure out what to do on the waterfront. If all they have is this park where you walk and bring your lunch, that's not going to cut it. I thought there were plans to develop down there with restaurants, etc., and that's been years ago. If Winegardner moves over to 235 as there is rumor about, that's going to open up yet another huge hole, but would be a perfect spot for big antique shop or microbrewery. They also need a museum of some type. Things like a museum, antique store, brewery, etc, will keep people there longer than the small specialty stores, and drive more money to the restaurants, etc. To me, it's a beautiful spot, but things are too far spread out to give it the feel it needs, and too much vacant memories or stores that don't lend themselves to that kind of feel -- Florists, funeral homes, lawyers offices, cleaners, banks, insurance offices, etc. I did hear someone was putting a contract or interested in the old bank building at the end of the square. But it will never totally flourish unless they get the waterfront right IMO.

The town of Leonardtown has an RFP out for a restaurant down at the wharf. They want to get someone to build and run a restaurant down there. I would love to see Leonardtown Building and Supply and the Dooley's Furniture stores turned into artist shop and sales space. That would fit with the future plans of Leonardtown and could be very interesting spaces to renovate. I was hoping that the old Bell Motor Company used car lot with its brick building would become a brew pub, but it has been announced publicly that Dunkin Donuts is going in there. Definitely NOT the bakery that others were hoping for. Hopefully the brick building survives. We have the brick building on the square that is currently empty along with the bank. And the old Reynold's pharmacy is still empty. If Winegardner's goes, that will be a seriously blank section on the square. The Winegardner's lot could include exterior seating if they go with a restaurant. There is definitely enough room there for a brewery. There is a new restaurant/apartments project happening at the Corner Critters building which used to be Bailey's restaurant. They are making fewer apartments upstairs with a restaurant downstairs. Work has started on that. Things are moving in Leonardtown, but you really have to look to see it.

fatratcat

They have a really nice little nursery in the parking lot of the old Bell Motor Used car lot. All local plants and seasonal. Young lady working there told me that they are getting an Italian restaurant in the building there and in the far corner of the parking lot is going to be a Dunkin Doughnuts.

A really good Italian restaurant would be AWESOME!

fatratcat

A REAL bakery would be fantastic!