Christening gifts

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
My great-nephew is getting christened soon and I am unsure what is considered an appropriate gift. My first reaction is a nice card and a gift card or cash, but not sure if that would be too tacky.

Suggestions? He is being christened in an Episcopal church if that makes any difference.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
:eyebrow: Engraved with what? Name and christening date?

And where on earth do you get such a thing AND have it engraved? Blair's?
Yes. It's been years since I have bought that kind of gift, but I think you are on the right track. There uses to be a place at the mall that did engraving. I don't recall the name.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Yes. It's been years since I have bought that kind of gift, but I think you are on the right track. There uses to be a place at the mall that did engraving. I don't recall the name.
Things Remembered was the place but I think it's defunct now. And I don't do malls if I can help it. :lol:

I will swing by Blair's and see what I can find. Thanks!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Silver rattles and cups and boxes and what have you are nice, but it's just more baby junk that nobody has room for. (Sorry, Rose :love: ) Plus everyone will be giving that sort of thing. Go to Hallmark - they have a hyoooge selection of religious-themed baptism gifts. A nice book or a cute blanket is what I'd go for.

Chris0nllyn

I guess it depends how religious the parents are. You could find personalized crosses or ther things. My suggestion is a savings bond.

Interest rates are somewhat low, but they compound semi-annually for 30 years and while subject to federal income tax, they aren't subject to state income tax, and if it's used for education expenses, there's no federal income tax.

I agree with Vrai. Parents typically already have too much crap (not to say your gift would be "crap", just that it's likely to not be utilized/played with).

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Silver rattles and cups and boxes and what have you are nice, but it's just more baby junk that nobody has room for. (Sorry, Rose :love: ) Plus everyone will be giving that sort of thing. Go to Hallmark - they have a hyoooge selection of religious-themed baptism gifts. A nice book or a cute blanket is what I'd go for.
:neener: How do you feel about Baby's First Christmas ornaments?

I still have the bassinet that my mother, aunt, uncle, myself, sister, my daughter, and niece were all in as beebee's. Since it will skip my kid, it goes to Frandkfurter next when it's her time. Unless my cousin (Uncle's girl #2) wants it next. 😄

luvmygdaughters

I would think a nice blanket or crib comforter would be a great gift. If you could have the date of the christening embroidered, that would be great!

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I would think a nice blanket or crib comforter would be a great gift. If you could have the date of the christening embroidered, that would be great!
I thought about it, but my turn-around time is about a week so getting something embroidered is probably out of the question. :lol:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I thought about it, but my turn-around time is about a week so getting something embroidered is probably out of the question. :lol:
I have a storage container of homemade quilts and blankets that I have saved. I did donate anything that was store bought.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
They got enough baby junk (Peter Rabbit theme :bunny: ) for the baby shower as I contributed and was there. :lol: I will check out Hallmark, too. :jameo: If nothing else, I can pick up a nice card. :yay:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I guess it depends how religious the parents are. You could find personalized crosses or ther things. My suggestion is a savings bond.

Interest rates are somewhat low, but they compound semi-annually for 30 years and while subject to federal income tax, they aren't subject to state income tax, and if it's used for education expenses, there's no federal income tax.

I agree with Vrai. Parents typically already have too much crap (not to say your gift would be "crap", just that it's likely to not be utilized/played with).
Not sure about the savings bond. The mother threw a fit when her mother did a donation to a charity instead of giving them the money. It sounds horrid and ungrateful but they were struggling financially with her being off from work for unpaid maternity leave and surviving on his income alone.
I asked my sister what they needed for Christmas and bought them special infant formula at about $50/pop and some lottery tickets. They won $50 so win/win. :lol:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Not sure about the savings bond. The mother threw a fit when her mother did a donation to a charity instead of giving them the money. It sounds horrid and ungrateful but they were struggling financially with her being off from work for unpaid maternity leave and surviving on his income alone.

Definitely give them money, then. The kid probably doesn't need any more stuff and I have no doubt the cash will be appreciated.