Christmas Dinner

SailorGirl

So what's everyone doing for dinner that night?

The commissary had rib roasts out yesterday - perfect size for my purposes - but I've been lured in before by their sparkling good looks and perfect marbling all the while drooling and imagining how it would look on my dinner table. Truth is I'm not Martha Stewart, I'm not even Chef Boyardee - my rib roast never looks like the pictures and more often than not gets fed to the dog or whatever wildlife happens to be hanging around my front door.

Why can't I do this? I read the instructions, I follow them to a T and bupkis. Less than bupkis sometimes. Is it the meat maybe? For the last couple of times I tried, all of the meat came from the commissary. Is there a magic meat place somewhere around here that would be outside my normal realm of shopping (read that as from a butcher and not wrapped up in cellophane) - that would possibly be the difference? I read a lot about USDA and ratings - I don't know right off the top of my head what the commissary marks there but I do remember it looks different from their normal markings. Maybe it's only a run of the mill rib roast? Looks are so deceiving. Even the cook for so long, turn the oven off, and leave it method has not worked for me. Blood red when it came out, which, although fine by me, repulsed my neurotic family.

I really don't want to revert to ham. Again.

Lot of good cooks on this forum - what should I be looking for and what should it be marked? I'm determined to master this before I give it up for good.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Not sure what I'm doing yet. :lol:

Prime rib is actually pretty to cook, and the more rare, the better! I have made this for years and it ALWAYS goes over really good with everyone...

SailorGirl

Not sure what I'm doing yet. :lol:

Prime rib is actually pretty to cook, and the more rare, the better! I have made this for years and it ALWAYS goes over really good with everyone...
Is there some secret to what I should be looking for as far as the meat is concerned? Do you go out and kill a cow or something or buy it at a store or a butcher or Amish or something? Prime rib is a mystery to me.

SailorGirl

NO idea at this point. :lol:
It's on the 25th this year. That's right around the corner - the way people were snatching up hams and rib roasts at the commissary made me panic for a minute - kept thinking should I be buying one of these or something?

SailorGirl

🤣

Whoops .... Honey Baked Ham ....

Thanksgiving = Ribeye [ family does turkey]
Christmas = Honey Baked Ham
New Years = Pork Roast [IIRC]
I got a Boars Head something ham last year. I don't like the spiral ones - always manage to dry them out, but the Boars Head was delicious - commissary hasn't carried it since then.

Flipz

So what's everyone doing for dinner that night?

The commissary had rib roasts out yesterday - perfect size for my purposes - but I've been lured in before by their sparkling good looks and perfect marbling all the while drooling and imagining how it would look on my dinner table. Truth is I'm not Martha Stewart, I'm not even Chef Boyardee - my rib roast never looks like the pictures and more often than not gets fed to the dog or whatever wildlife happens to be hanging around my front door.

Why can't I do this? I read the instructions, I follow them to a T and bupkis. Less than bupkis sometimes. Is it the meat maybe? For the last couple of times I tried, all of the meat came from the commissary. Is there a magic meat place somewhere around here that would be outside my normal realm of shopping (read that as from a butcher and not wrapped up in cellophane) - that would possibly be the difference? I read a lot about USDA and ratings - I don't know right off the top of my head what the commissary marks there but I do remember it looks different from their normal markings. Maybe it's only a run of the mill rib roast? Looks are so deceiving. Even the cook for so long, turn the oven off, and leave it method has not worked for me. Blood red when it came out, which, although fine by me, repulsed my neurotic family.

I really don't want to revert to ham. Again.

Lot of good cooks on this forum - what should I be looking for and what should it be marked? I'm determined to master this before I give it up for good.

SailorGirl

Flipz - welcome to the nuthouse - they're a good group, especially the food threads people. I think I missed something on your post though.

SailorGirl

It's the whole piece of filet mignon. :yay:
Thanks, I could live with that. Anything beats cooking it myself. It's $89.00 at Harris Teeter with some sides that didn't look that impressive but....by the time dinner rolls around I'm exhausted - last thing I want to do is cook. I'm going to shop around a little see what else is out there.