Christmas Dinner

SailorGirl

We've tried steaks, all different cuts, from the commissary.. they just aren't very good. We've had MUCH better from even WalMart, but since Harris Teeter opened they are my go to place for beef. Just finished off an incredible NY Strip (and I was never a fan of that cut) from Harris' Teeters, it was AMAZING! it was probably 3 maybe 4 inches thick, slapped it on the grill and, hell my mouth is watering talking about it.

We also like Nick's, but haven't been back since we found amazing Teeters here.
Maybe it wasn't me then. Thanks for that information - all I buy from them lately is chicken and ground beef - at least in the meat department.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
We've tried steaks, all different cuts, from the commissary.. they just aren't very good. We've had MUCH better from even WalMart, but since Harris Teeter opened they are my go to place for beef. Just finished off an incredible NY Strip (and I was never a fan of that cut) from Harris' Teeters, it was AMAZING! it was probably 3 maybe 4 inches thick, slapped it on the grill and, hell my mouth is watering talking about it.

We also like Nick's, but haven't been back since we found amazing Teeters here.
I think a 4 inch thick steak is called a roast.

Makavide

Not too talkative
It's on the 25th this year. That's right around the corner - the way people were snatching up hams and rib roasts at the commissary made me panic for a minute - kept thinking should I be buying one of these or something?
You can talk to the butcher at the commissary ahead of time and let them know what you are looking for. They can help you figure out something. you can even "order in advance" and they can have a size cut you would like, set aside for you to pick up on a specific day.

SailorGirl

You can talk to the butcher at the commissary ahead of time and let them know what you are looking for. They can help you figure out something. you can even "order in advance" and they can have a size cut you would like, set aside for you to pick up on a specific day.
Didn't know you could do that - thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to take ItsBob suggestion and get one at Harris Teeter this year. If I cook that and screw it up at least I'll know for certain it's me and not the meat.

Makavide

Not too talkative
Didn't know you could do that - thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to take ItsBob suggestion and get one at Harris Teeter this year. If I cook that and screw it up at least I'll know for certain it's me and not the meat.
You may have already considered it, but a really good oven thermometer, to ensure you oven is at the temperature you expect it to be.
(and a really good meat thermometer, so you know when it hits the temperature you want it to be)
Remote sensor works best, so you don't have to open the oven to check the temperature.

SailorGirl

You may have already considered it, but a really good oven thermometer, to ensure you oven is at the temperature you expect it to be.
(and a really good meat thermometer, so you know when it hits the temperature you want it to be)
Remote sensor works best, so you don't have to open the oven to check the temperature.
I've been telling myself I need to do that. My oven won't turn off anymore - if I don't cut the power to the stove in the electrical panel or whatever that is, it stays on.

However I did ruin at least three rib roasts prior to the oven event.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
PREMO Member
I've been telling myself I need to do that. My oven won't turn off anymore - if I don't cut the power to the stove in the electrical panel or whatever that is, it stays on.

However I did ruin at least three rib roasts prior to the oven event.
not making fun: we can figure this out together, lot's a great cooks on this forum. But what exactly is wrong with these roasts and steaks and meats when you cook them? What is ruined about them? specifics please 😄

Flipz

Has anyone noticed the school bus shelter across from Fairlead Academy on great mills road? It looks like a homeless shelter....should someone call about it if so who do you call?

Grumpy

Has anyone noticed the school bus shelter across from Fairlead Academy on great mills road? It looks like a homeless shelter....should someone call about it if so who do you call?
Just someone living the California dream.

SailorGirl

A few weeks ago I saw a guy peeing in there. Broad daylight.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Soaking, simmering and thin-slicing a country (salt brine cured and smoked) ham...smoking a turkey..some stuffed ham. And the same array of oyster fixins we do for Thanksgiving.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Whatever we have you know damned well stuffed ham will be involved. I'm planning on stuffing mine on the 22nd this year. 😋

SailorGirl

I just went through my mail and had a freebie magazine in it and this recipe is in it! O.M.G. I would totally make this. I want it in my belly, NOW!!!
ohhhhh. Just saved it. If you make it could you uber over a couple of hunks?

SailorGirl

I just went through my mail and had a freebie magazine in it and this recipe is in it! O.M.G. I would totally make this. I want it in my belly, NOW!!!
Chateaubriand cut - sounds so French. Looked the recipe over - who the hell am I kidding?