'Christmas Sermon' by author C.S. Lewis warned of a world that no longer knew right from wrong

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
Author famed for 'The Chronicles of Narnia' also devout Christian who wrote often on faith

The Christian faith of early 20th-century Irish author C.S. Lewis is enjoying a rebirth right now as American culture, and the wider Western world, appear to have lost a sense of right and wrong.

Credit the recent rediscovery of the author's writings on religion, culture and morality, including "A Christmas Sermon for Pagans," published in December 1946 in Strand magazine.

The letter compared pagan, or what he called pre-Christian beliefs, to those that emerged during and after the global crises and warfare of the early 20th century. He called it "post-Christian" philosophy.

"There is no objective right or wrong" among post-Christians, Lewis wrote in the "Christmas Sermon."

"Each race or class can invent its own code or ‘ideology’ just as it pleases."

He added, "Now if the post-Christian view is the correct one, then we have indeed waked from a nightmare."

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
As a modern day Heathen, aka Norse Pagan, my ethic as informed by everything that I have experienced in life, goes thus:

Give Worship and Honor to the Holy as you understand it.
Do that which is Right for Kin, Kith and Community with Wisdom, Generosity and Personal Honor.

What is Right? Doing that which helps, offering kindness, treating others with a friendly manner, courtesy and tolerance,
until their actual Words and Deeds earn them better, worse or indifference.

That being said, C.S. Lewis has been one of those informing intellects, as is Marcus Aurelius, among many others, the legends and lore of my ancestors...and other Peoples.

Last edited:

stgislander

PREMO Member
As a modern day Heathen, aka Norse Pagan, my ethic as informed by everything that I have experienced in life, goes thus:

Give Worship and Honor to the Holy as you understand it.
Do that which is Right for Kin, Kith and Community with Wisdom, Generosity and Personal Honor.

What is Right? Doing that which helps, offering kindness, treating others with a friendly manner, courtesy and tolerance,
until their actual Words and Deeds earn them better, worse of indifference.
Yes, but where does raping and pillaging come in?

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Yes, but where does raping and pillaging come in?
Before you burn the village,
viking GIF