Christmas Spread

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
So now that we are gearing up for the Christmas Feasts, what are the "must-haves" for your table? Do you do a meal similar to Thanksgiving or something different? Do you do a big family breakfast as well?

Looking for new and different ideas. :popcorn:

lovinmaryland

Christmas day we normally go to my grandmothers who has stuffed ham and honey baked ham. Everyone brings a dish but it is an open door thing so you come when you feel like it.

Christmas Eve is when I do our families special dinner. That menu is Prime Rib, yorkshire pudding, roasted root veggies, mac & cheese, green beans, etc...

Nothing like a nice big juicy Prime Rib :yum:

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
Christmas day we normally go to my grandmothers who has stuffed ham and honey baked ham. Everyone brings a dish but it is an open door thing so you come when you feel like it.

Christmas Eve is when I do our families special dinner. That menu is Prime Rib, yorkshire pudding, roasted root veggies, mac & cheese, green beans, etc...

That sounds awesome, Lovin!!! Never thought about doing Prime Rib; was gonna do a ham but now I think I've changed my mind. :lol:

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer

:drool: prime rib for us too..lucky me I do my moms on christmas eve, SO's moms on christmas day..so I get two

rare and bleedy at my mom's...frankly overcooked at SO's..but still tasty I suppose:killingme

I made blue cheese yorkshire puddings one year, I was disapointed, I put a ton in there, still couldn't taste it.

Mom's
Prime rib, king crab legs, five cheese pasta (expensive to make but soo freakin good I could cry), rolls, and a veggie of some kind..

SO's
Prime rib, oysters, ham/turkey breast, potatoes, veggies, mac and cheese

I freakin LOVE christmas :drool:

lovinmaryland

So now that we are gearing up for the Christmas Feasts, what are the "must-haves" for your table? Do you do a meal similar to Thanksgiving or something different? Do you do a big family breakfast as well?

Looking for new and different ideas. :popcorn:

I missed the breakfast part! I love doing a big breakfast that morning. I will normally come down first to "check" if santa came. But I am really throwing bacon in the oven, mixing up my french toast custard, frying scrapple, squeezing oranges etc... It helps to get a head start on that stuff.

Once they do come down they are allowed to go through their stockings while I finish cooking. Then after we eat we start to open gifts.

lovinmaryland

That sounds awesome, Lovin!!! Never thought about doing Prime Rib; was gonna do a ham but now I think I've changed my mind. :lol:

:drool: prime rib for us too..lucky me I do my moms on christmas eve, SO's moms on christmas day..so I get two

rare and bleedy at my mom's...frankly overcooked at SO's..but still tasty I suppose:killingme

I made blue cheese yorkshire puddings one year, I was disapointed, I put a ton in there, still couldn't taste it.

Mom's
Prime rib, king crab legs, five cheese pasta (expensive to make but soo freakin good I could cry), rolls, and a veggie of some kind..

SO's
Prime rib, oysters, ham/turkey breast, potatoes, veggies, mac and cheese

I freakin LOVE christmas :drool:

They can be expensive but normally a week or so before Christmas they go on sale at Safeway for $4.99 or so a pound.

IF you are going to do a prime rib I have the best cooking method & recipe. It comes out PERFECTLY every time! Rare in the middle and medium rare on the ends.

If you want it I will post it.

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
They can be expensive but normally a week or so before Christmas they go on sale at Safeway for $4.99 or so a pound.

IF you are going to do a prime rib I have the best cooking method & recipe. It comes out PERFECTLY every time! Rare in the middle and medium rare on the ends.

What are you waiting for!!! Post it!!! :lol:

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer

we always do the paula deen cook it, then turn oven off and let it sit deal. Turns out great. sometimes a little less rare than I would like, but I am kind of weird about my beef, I eat it raw pretty much. Should be perfect for most folks.

lovinmaryland

What are you waiting for!!! Post it!!! :lol:

1 7 -8 lb roast at room temperature
1 stick of soft butter
1T kosher salt
1T fresh cracked black pepper

Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F

Rub roast w/ butter then season liberally w/ salt and pepper.

Place the oven rack on the second lowest position.

Place the roast in a pan large enough to hold it comfortably, bone-side down

Roast the meat for 50 minutes

Without removing the meat from the oven, reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees F and roast for another 45 minutes

Finally, increase the temperature to 450 degrees F and roast for 20 minutes until the internal temperature of the meat is 125 degrees F. (Be sure the thermometer is exactly in the center of the roast.)

The total cooking time will be between 1 1/2 and 1 3/4 hours.

I cant always afford to go w/ that big of a roast so if I get a smaller say 5lb roast I usually take off 15 minutes from the first 2 cooking periods.

Always comes out perfectly cooked!

we always do the paula deen cook it, then turn oven off and let it sit deal. Turns out great. sometimes a little less rare than I would like, but I am kind of weird about my beef, I eat it raw pretty much. Should be perfect for most folks.

Big B and my Dad really like theirs rare rare too.

nomoney

We do a Christmas Eve Dinner with Lobster Tails (stuffed and regular) and snow crab legs. Sometimes scallops. Can't wait! :getdown:

nomoney

Where's a good place around here to get a decent prime rib?

Where's a good place around here to get a decent prime rib?

If you mean prepared and served, no place around here meets my approval. If you happen to be in Charlottesville VA, stop at the Aberdeen. :yay: There's also one down in Williamsburg. They make a great prime rib.

If you mean prepared and served, no place around here meets my approval. If you happen to be in Charlottesville VA, stop at the Aberdeen. :yay: There's also one down in Williamsburg. They make a great prime rib.

And if its the raw product, answer is nowhere that I know.

lovinmaryland

I'm hosting Christmas this year and we're having a deli platter with all the sides -- think summer BBQ! :buddies:
I freakin love you! :lmao:
Order one from Nick's. :shrug:

I ordered one from Nicks one year and I was not impressed w/ the quality. Normally they trim most of the fat off and just leave a small cap. Theirs was super fatty. I swear I cut off a full pound of it.

I normally get them from Safeway now.

Nomoney I thought you were referrring to restuarants. If you are talking about picking one up I would hit Safeway. The week or so before Christmas they have them for $4.99 or so a pound. Look for good marbeling on both ends. :yay: