Christmas tipping for hair stylists

CRHS89

I am going to get my hair cut and colored before Christmas. I have had the same stylist for 8 or so years. Should I bring a small gift (if so what price range) or should I tip more and if so how much more. Thanks for the help!

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
I am going to get my hair cut and colored before Christmas. I have had the same stylist for 8 or so years. Should I bring a small gift (if so what price range) or should I tip more and if so how much more. Thanks for the help!

I don't usually do any more tipping than usual..(I tip well my hair chick is awesome!) but if you feel like the stylist deserves a lil something extra a nice extra 5-10 percent would probably be a nice gesture

ewashkow

Admittedly, I don't know how their pay scale is set up. I'm assuming like wait staff's. So, since they may not always have a steady flow of clients and I do know that there is a chair rental fee, I am going to guess that tips are what really brings them the money. Based off that, I say to tip a bit more. It is the holidays and wouldn't we all appreciate a little extra cash? Now if she is greedy and you know she is expecting a bigger tip since it is the holidays, I say don't do it.

Now if she is greedy and you know she is expecting a bigger tip since it is the holidays, I say don't do it.
I disagree. If she's good enough to keep going to for the past 8 years... she's certainly worth a bigger than usual tip and so what if the stylist expects it... she should expect to be recognized by a frequent customer that she's been pleasing for almost a decade.

bluewater

Yes, I usually give a good bottle of wine and double the normal tip. Especially if you have seen the same person for eight years.

acommondisaster

I always thought that if you use the same stylist throughout the year, the general rule for a Christmas gift (generally money in a card) should be equal to the amount of a regular visit. Or a gift, but most stylists can probably use the extra dough. ;)

angelbaby

Here's a couple different scenarios....

Christmas Holiday Tipping Etiquette
Christmas is a great time of year to remember those people who serve you regularly. Since it only occurs once a year, holiday tipping can be a source of holiday stress, but it need not be so. I recommend a gift or a tasteful Christmas card with a tip inside. Delivery should occur in the month of December prior to Christmas day. Tip those who serve you all year long and with whom you have a personal relationship.

Maid - one week's pay. This is for maids in your employ whom you pay directly. If you use a service and never know who is coming out, don't tip at all.
Gardener - $20-50.
USPS Mail carrier - Non-cash gifts with value up to $20. This is for mail carriers that you know and see regularly. Read more below.
UPS - Regular driver - $15.
FedEx - Not allowed to accept cash gifts, but a gift up to $25 in value is permissible.
Apartment building superintendent - $50-200. Tip less if you tip throughout the year.
Apartment Doorman/concierge - $10-80 or more each, depending upon building. The fewer doormen the building has, the more you tip each one. Those who serve you more should get a bigger tip.
Apartment building handyman - $15-40 each.
Apartment building elevator operators - $15-40 each.
Shampoo - $10
Manicurist/pedicurist - $15 or more
Hairdresser/stylist - $15 or more Massage therapist - $15 or more.

Christmas Tip – For Who and How Much?

Babysitter: One evening’s pay, plus a small gift from your child.
Barber: Cost of one haircut, and/or gift.
Beauty salon/hairstylist: $10 to $60 each, giving most to those who provide the most service.Child’s teacher: Give a gift, not cash. Consider a Gift Certificate; fruit basket or picture frame.
Daycare Services: $25-70, plus a small gift from your child.
Dog walker: One week’s pay and/or a gift.
Doormen/Concierge: $10 to $80 each, with a bigger tip for the doormen who serves you more.
Garage attendants and newspaper deliverer: $10 to $30 each.
Housekeeper: One day’s pay.
Mail carrier: Gifts up to $20 each, but no cash. *See the rules below for giving Christmas tips to USPS workers below. Only tip your regular mail carrier that you know and see regularly.

Hairstylist
Budget: Cost of one haircut
Hint: If the same person that cuts your hair, styles, and colors it too, you may want to give more
Housekeeper
Budget: Up to one week's pay
Hint: If you use a cleaning service and never know who shows up, don't tip at all. But if the same housekeeper comes every week and does a great job, tell her with a holiday tip.
Beautician
Budget: Cost of one session
Hint: If the person who does your nails is the shop's owner, they might refuse your cash tip. But trust us, either way the gesture will be appreciated.

Hope this helped! :buddies:

ewashkow

I disagree. If she's good enough to keep going to for the past 8 years... she's certainly worth a bigger than usual tip and so what if the stylist expects it... she should expect to be recognized by a frequent customer that she's been pleasing for almost a decade.

I guess I should have clarified that a bit better. There is a difference between the stylist thinking "I'm hoping for a bigger tip since it's the holidays" and the stylist coming out and saying "I'm expecting a bigger tip since it's the holidays". Just because the stylist might be thinking it, doesn't mean she should say it.