Chronic Wasting disease

DaSDGuy

Vaguely. Similar to mad cow. Its a prion type disease that can't be eliminated by cooking. No cure, 100% fatal to the infected animal. Jury is out whether people can catch it by eating infected venison, although testing with monkeys found out they could be infected by eating the meat. I politely refuse any venison I don't take myself now because of this. It's not worth the risk.

limblips

PREMO Member

frequentflier

happy to be living
There was a doe with a fawn on the road and then later in the cemetery next to my home yesterday. She had no visible signs of injury but was twirling her head, going in circles, falling down and kept tipping her head towards her shoulder. As I was stopped on the road observing her (hard to watch), another vehicle approached and he said he thought it was chronic wasting disease.
Upon my return a couple hours later, she was on the grass and falling down and exhibiting the same behavior as before. I called a friend that's more knowledgeable about wildlife than me. She came over and we called the Sheriff's office. (DNR not available) A deputy came out and the doe and fawn moved into the woods but we could still see them.
It was sad to see especially the fawn sticking so close to Mama. The poor thing was probably scared.
I will look around the area today and will call DNR if I see them. I may call them to see if they have had cases reported in this area (southern Calvert) anyways.

stgislander

PREMO Member
There was a doe with a fawn on the road and then later in the cemetery next to my home yesterday. She had no visible signs of injury but was twirling her head, going in circles, falling down and kept tipping her head towards her shoulder. As I was stopped on the road observing her (hard to watch), another vehicle approached and he said he thought it was chronic wasting disease.
Upon my return a couple hours later, she was on the grass and falling down and exhibiting the same behavior as before. I called a friend that's more knowledgeable about wildlife than me. She came over and we called the Sheriff's office. (DNR not available) A deputy came out and the doe and fawn moved into the woods but we could still see them.
It was sad to see especially the fawn sticking so close to Mama. The poor thing was probably scared.
I will look around the area today and will call DNR if I see them. I may call them to see if they have had cases reported in this area (southern Calvert) anyways.
Have there been any confirmed reports of CWD in SoMD? It's pretty common in WMD, but I've not heard of it down here yet. (Admittedly I don't pay that close attention, but it's usually front page news back home.)

frequentflier

happy to be living
Have there been any confirmed reports of CWD in SoMD? It's pretty common in WMD, but I've not heard of it down here yet. (Admittedly I don't pay that close attention, but it's usually front page news back home.)
I didn't see Calvert on the map. Plan to reach out to DNR today.

Chris0nllyn

The only deer who have tested positive for CWD were in Western MD, so hopefully CWD is not down here. That would be bad, real bad.

Was the doe skinny? Ears drooped? Otherwise look sick or just acting weird?

frequentflier

happy to be living
The only deer who have tested positive for CWD were in Western MD, so hopefully CWD is not down here. That would be bad, real bad.

Was the doe skinny? Ears drooped? Otherwise look sick or just acting weird?
She wasn't emaciated, didn't pay attn to ears but she was definitely not acting right. My first thought was that she may have been poisoned.
I did leave a message at DNR and hope I can discuss this with someone from there. My friend that lives about a mile up the road, pulled up info that said it is highly contagious to other wildlife inc squirrels (which I feed lots of them!) and farm animals. She has alpacas and sheep and has fed the deer on her property. Many does have given birth and raised their young there.

Chris0nllyn

She wasn't emaciated, didn't pay attn to ears but she was definitely not acting right. My first thought was that she may have been poisoned.
I did leave a message at DNR and hope I can discuss this with someone from there. My friend that lives about a mile up the road, pulled up info that said it is highly contagious to other wildlife inc squirrels (which I feed lots of them!) and farm animals. She has alpacas and sheep and has fed the deer on her property. Many does have given birth and raised their young there.

Those are good signs (i.e. not synonymous with CWD) but strange nonetheless. Hopefully DNR can shed some light on the issue!

It's a big problem in the midwest.

frequentflier

happy to be living
So a very nice lady called me back from DNR. She said my description of her behavior was of a brain abscess and that the doe probably had a head injury that caused a puss build up and infection. I mentioned she did have a lot of flies around her. She will die from it but I can only hope she finds another doe to care for her fawn.
It is common; more so with bucks because of their racks.
Chronic wasting disease in not in this county but it certainly can happen in the future.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Or it could be rabies, I remember hearing of a cow having it in the state.

General Lee

So a very nice lady called me back from DNR. She said my description of her behavior was of a brain abscess and that the doe probably had a head injury that caused a puss build up and infection. I mentioned she did have a lot of flies around her. She will die from it but I can only hope she finds another doe to care for her fawn.
It is common; more so with bucks because of their racks.
Chronic wasting disease in not in this county but it certainly can happen in the future.
Sounds like listeriosis