Chuck Schumer: No deal on infrastructure without addressing climate change

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
That’s why I’m sending a letter to President Trump that describes the kinds of policies Democrats expect in an infrastructure bill. For example, we should make massive investments in renewable-energy infrastructure, especially in exciting new technologies such as battery storage. We also must make our infrastructure more climate- resilient, particularly the electrical grid and our water and wastewater systems. Those items belong in any infrastructure bill — indeed they were all included in the Senate Democratic proposal last year — but we can and should go further.

We should provide permanent tax credits for clean-energy production and storage, electric vehicles, and energy- efficient homes. We should invest in conservation, wildlife and deferred maintenance on our public lands, because this can both mitigate the impacts of climate change and grow the outdoor economy. We should significantly reduce the release of methane pollution from domestic energy production. And we have to reduce the amount of carbon we release into the atmosphere. All of these policies can and will create good-paying green jobs.

No doubt, a single infrastructure bill alone will not solve our climate problem. But it is an important and necessary first step to include at least some, if not many, of these ideas. Without them, Trump should not count on Democratic support in the Senate.

https://outline.com/LhmGFq

Hijinx

That’s why I’m sending a letter to President Trump that describes the kinds of policies Democrats expect in an infrastructure bill. For example, we should make massive investments in renewable-energy infrastructure, especially in exciting new technologies such as battery storage. We also must make our infrastructure more climate- resilient, particularly the electrical grid and our water and wastewater systems. Those items belong in any infrastructure bill — indeed they were all included in the Senate Democratic proposal last year — but we can and should go further.

We should provide permanent tax credits for clean-energy production and storage, electric vehicles, and energy- efficient homes. We should invest in conservation, wildlife and deferred maintenance on our public lands, because this can both mitigate the impacts of climate change and grow the outdoor economy. We should significantly reduce the release of methane pollution from domestic energy production. And we have to reduce the amount of carbon we release into the atmosphere. All of these policies can and will create good-paying green jobs.

No doubt, a single infrastructure bill alone will not solve our climate problem. But it is an important and necessary first step to include at least some, if not many, of these ideas. Without them, Trump should not count on Democratic support in the Senate.

https://outline.com/LhmGFq

Just another way to guide taxpayer money into the hands of Democrat friends of the "Honorable" Schumer and others

Like Macron. It's all about MONEY for the greenies.

SamSpade

I can't believe they can't come to some kind of compromise. Nearly half of these I can get on board with.

limblips

PREMO Member
Legalized extortion. Schmuckers letter should address all of the failed green programs that we have funded, Solyndra, chevy volt, ethanol subsidies, et al....

Hijinx

Legalized extortion. Schmuckers letter should address all of the failed green programs that we have funded, Solyndra, chevy volt, ethanol subsidies, et al....

The Schmuck probably got a kickback from all of them.

SamSpade

Well - I read his bit. It's typical Schumer bull####.

See, I can easily get on board with improving homes to be more energy efficient, creating better battery life (more on that in a minute)
and - he didn't explicitly say this - incentives for making more energy production more green or renewable.
I am NOT in favor of idiotic expenses to pretend to make better energy choices by just having windmills and solar farms,
which so far are still expensive and provide a fraction of the energy needed - and cannot meet the greater needs of the future
(which I think is the biggest problem - solar and wind can't keep up).

Research on better battery storage is crucial in making renewables competitive. If your source of stored energy is a gallon
of gas, you're not losing a single joule when it sits in a container - or tank - or storage facility. A better battery is pretty much
the only way to "keep" solar, wind and most other forms of renewable energy.

We can mitigate fires out west by addressing better park maintenance.

But it is ridiculous to assign damages from storms and fires to an unwillingness to go with climate change as an issue.
One, there's no scientifically discerned link to storms and fires etc because of climate change.
Another is - there's no measurable increase in the ferocity, frequency or energy released in storms in the time frame
most climate change alarmists use.