Cicada

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
With all the construction and building in the area, I doubt there will be that many cicadas to emerge.

MMDad

Lem Putt
With all the construction and building in the area, I doubt there will be that many cicadas to emerge.

They may have cleared 1-2% of the trees at most in 17 years. They did the same in the 17 years preceding the last emergence and it didn't seem to affect the quantity.

kenisgod1

Fry them up in a pan with a little bacon grease.
Then drizzle with melted butter and sprinkle on some Old Bay Seasoning......

Delicious........

mitzi

This may be a boring story but I thought it was amazing to watch. Cleaning my yard in 96 and saw all those perfect round holes under the oak tree. I didn't know what caused it. Then saw the cicadas on the tree a few days later. Fast forward to whenever all the noise started quieting down and I was doing yard work again. I saw the little tiny babies crawling down the tree and heading into the perfect round holes the adults made to come out. I thought it was pretty fasinating. I love nature things and wish I still lived in that house to watch the ones come out I saw going in 17 years ago.

MarieB

This may be a boring story but I thought it was amazing to watch. Cleaning my yard in 96 and saw all those perfect round holes under the oak tree. I didn't know what caused it. Then saw the cicadas on the tree a few days later. Fast forward to whenever all the noise started quieting down and I was doing yard work again. I saw the little tiny babies crawling down the tree and heading into the perfect round holes the adults made to come out. I thought it was pretty fasinating. I love nature things and wish I still lived in that house to watch the ones come out I saw going in 17 years ago.

Now I know what all the perfectly round holes around the yard are. I was thinking this morning that it could be related, and now you confirmed it :buddies:

Neat story. Thanks

"Many nymphs emerge at night and make a mad dash for vertical structures such as trees and shrubs,"

I'm gonna catch me a couple of those nymphs. :killingme

This was the first I saw of the last ones. I walked outside after dark to lock my tuck or something and it looked like the lawn was moving. Very weird. Last time that happened was Golden Gate Park about 1968.:lol:

not really

Last edited:

luvhh

Now I know what all the perfectly round holes around the yard are. I was thinking this morning that it could be related, and now you confirmed it :buddies:

Neat story. Thanks

So the holes have already start appearing? Does that mean if there are no holes in the ground as of today, we won't have any in our trees?