Clash's London Calling the making of a punk anthem

Misfit

Lawful neutral
Anatomy of a Song: The Clash's 'London Calling' - WSJ.com

When the Clash's song "London Calling" was recorded in late 1979, punk rock had already peaked. To jolt the genre, the Clash combined punk with reggae, rockabilly and soul, resulting in one of the era's most stirring and influential political rock anthems.

With its martial beat, rock-steady-funk bass line and lashing lyrics, the song warned about a world changing for the worse. Co-written by Mick Jones and the late Joe Strummer, the song "London Calling" never was a Billboard hit in the U.S.—though the album on which it appeared (and shares a title) did hit the charts in 1980 and has sold more than five million copies world-wide.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
OK. I like this reason best for the inspiration for the song:

Mick Jones: The initial inspiration for the song "London Calling" wasn't British politics. It was our fear of drowning. In 1979 we saw a headline on the front of the London Evening Standard warning that the North Sea might rise and push up the Thames, flooding the city. We flipped. To us, the headline was just another example of how everything was coming undone.

Good a reason as any of flipping out and making a song, I guess.:yahoo:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
OK. I like this reason best for the inspiration for the song:

Mick Jones: The initial inspiration for the song "London Calling" wasn't British politics. It was our fear of drowning. In 1979 we saw a headline on the front of the London Evening Standard warning that the North Sea might rise and push up the Thames, flooding the city. We flipped. To us, the headline was just another example of how everything was coming undone.

Good a reason as any of flipping out and making a song, I guess.:yahoo:

Makes sense - a repeated lyric is

'Cause London is drowning
and I, I live by the river

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Anatomy of a Song: The Clash's 'London Calling' - WSJ.com

When the Clash's song "London Calling" was recorded in late 1979, punk rock had already peaked. To jolt the genre, the Clash combined punk with reggae, rockabilly and soul, resulting in one of the era's most stirring and influential political rock anthems.

With its martial beat, rock-steady-funk bass line and lashing lyrics, the song warned about a world changing for the worse. Co-written by Mick Jones and the late Joe Strummer, the song "London Calling" never was a Billboard hit in the U.S.—though the album on which it appeared (and shares a title) did hit the charts in 1980 and has sold more than five million copies world-wide.

Put another way, London calling was the bullet that killed punk.

I HATE that song.

THIS is a punk anthem;

:larry:

gary_webb

Damned glad to meet you
Cash from Chaos!

20070208205327[1].jpg

"Ever get the feeling you've been cheated" ~ Johnny Rotten aka John Lydon

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The Clash is in my Top 5 favorite bands all-time. Sucks I never got to see them live.

I love the Clash. The Sex Pistols was too hard; the Knack was too soft; the Dead Kennedys was too weird; the Clash was just right. I love the Ramones, too.

Hank

my war
I love the Clash. The Sex Pistols was too hard; the Knack was too soft; the Dead Kennedys was too weird; the Clash was just right. I love the Ramones, too.

This pie chart rocks!

Attachments

• misfits-pie-carts.jpg
    misfits-pie-carts.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 116