CLEAN CHOICE

FED_UP

Got a letter from SMECO that I can sign up with Clean Choice, local farms clean energy and wind energy. SMECO will still be running the billing. Does anyone already use them, and did it make a difference to your bill?

I got one too. Don't think I'm interested. There is no magic switch so you get power only from their source, you are still part of "the grid" and getting power from where ever your neighborhood gets it. You send them money which they use to promote cleaner energy sources, and they have some monetary arrangement with SMECO to provide power to the grid.

SMECO is pursuing their own alternate power with solar farms, so not sure where the benefit is. There was also some verbage that made it sound like it would be more expensive than SMECO.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Got a letter from SMECO that I can sign up with Clean Choice, local farms clean energy and wind energy. SMECO will still be running the billing. Does anyone already use them, and did it make a difference to your bill?
I don't think the letter was from SMECO, it did say you would be keeping SMECO.
Filed it the recycling bin, don't trust third party letters like that. Seemed more like a way to either get a piece of your bill or force SMECO into some deal.

FED_UP

I don't think the letter was from SMECO, it did say you would be keeping SMECO.
Filed it the recycling bin, don't trust third party letters like that. Seemed more like a way to either get a piece of your bill or force SMECO into some deal.
Thanks for the inputs, still not sure yet, but ever since I got my new more efficient A/C unit the bill has been a lot better anyway.

Thanks for the inputs, still not sure yet, but ever since I got my new more efficient A/C unit the bill has been a lot better anyway.
If your primary concern is cost, re-read this paragraph from their letter:
Q. What will happen to my electricity bill?
A. In short, supporting new renewable energy costs more than polluting energy. For most consumers, the biggest factor determining the size of their bill is the amount of electricity they use. (!! No crap, Sherlock) Residential electricity use it typically higher in the winter and summer months when usage is almost always the biggest factor influencing electricity bills. (Again, no kidding!!! REALLY??)

They imply their cost will be higher, and completely skirt the question with BS.

Wickedwrench

Stubborn and opinionated
My letter went straight in the circular file when I read the part highlighted above. No need to raise my bill voluntarily.

glhs837

Power with Control
Yeah, pretty long way of saying that you would be getting the same energy that you always did, but it would cost more to clean your soul. So, remember that on his way out, Owe'Spendy set limits on when and how much energy had to come from renewable sources. So SMECO and others need you to sign up for crap like this so they can "get those numbers up". If they buy it straight, then they either have to seek a rate hike, or eat the cost, since clean energy can't compete right yet. But if you sign up to get "clean electrons" and you willingly pay more, well, thats awesome for them.

tuffenuff2

Our SMECO bill was minus $29.30 thanks to our solar panels. We pay $200 to our solar company for rent to own panels. We are saving $300+ a month. Solar energy world is awesome if anybody is looking for recommendations.

General Lee

Our SMECO bill was minus $29.30 thanks to our solar panels. We pay $200 to our solar company for rent to own panels. We are saving $300+ a month. Solar energy world is awesome if anybody is looking for recommendations.

I don't know how high your summer electric bill used to be, but 29 bucks off the SMECO bill, and a 200 dollar monthly payment for ruining and uglifying your roof doesn't seem worth it to me

I don't know how high your summer electric bill used to be, but 29 bucks off the SMECO bill, and a 200 dollar monthly payment for ruining and uglifying your roof doesn't seem worth it to me
I read that as a $29.30 credit after paying out the monthly, ie they pay him at the end of the month.

tuffenuff2

Our roof isnt ugly. The panels we have are quite slim compared to others. Our smeco bill was a credit of $29.30 so basically no bill. We don't owe them anything. Our summer bills ranged from between $400-$600.

Last edited:

General Lee

Our roof isnt ugly. The panels we have are quite slim compared to others. Our smeco bill was a credit of $29.30 so basically no bill. We don't owe them anything. Our summer bills ranged from between $400-$600.

Ahh, ok. I'm not gonna lie, I would love to have a big discounted electric bill, but I just can't do the roof panels. To each their own I guess. I didn't mean to be disrespectful, just meant to voice my opinion. I see all these nice houses in nice neighborhoods with solar panels on the roof and I just couldn't do it.

Ahh, ok. I'm not gonna lie, I would love to have a big discounted electric bill, but I just can't do the roof panels. To each their own I guess. I didn't mean to be disrespectful, just meant to voice my opinion. I see all these nice houses in nice neighborhoods with solar panels on the roof and I just couldn't do it.
I don't mind the way they look, but I keep thinking of the holes drilled in the shingles and potential leaks caused by the panels. That's enough for me to not do it.

General Lee

I don't mind the way they look, but I keep thinking of the holes drilled in the shingles and potential leaks caused by the panels. That's enough for me to not do it.

Yes, that is why I said "ruining" the roof. When the solar panel phenomenon first hit, my first thought was leaky roofs

tuffenuff2

We haven't had any problems and they assured us that if there was a problem they would fix it and pay for any damage.

Goldenhawk

I have various holes drilled through my shingles for two satellite antenna mounts, and while I was rather nervous when they did the installations, I have never had a problem. If they use an appropriate sealant, there should be no issues. I keep an eye on the sealant and replace as necessary... of course, that's hard when you can't get between the multiple rows of panels.

tuffenuff2

We have attic space in the roof so we don't have to do anything between the panels. They also monitor the panels remotely so if there is a problem they can detect it right away and send someone. I wish we had the same thing for our ac unit!!!! Lol.