cleaning gun with carb/choke cleaner

dustin

UAIOE
Has anyone cleaned their firearm with spray carb/choke cleaner before? That spray "break-free" stuff gets expensive...

I don't think I would try it on one with a wood stock though... to risky damaging the color/laminate???

Has anyone cleaned their firearm with spray carb/choke cleaner before? That spray "break-free" stuff gets expensive...

I don't think I would try it on one with a wood stock though... to risky damaging the color/laminate???

I use non-Chlorinated Brake cleaner on my Black Powder, Benelli 12 ga. Nova Synthetic and my son's Charles Daly Youth 20ga Synthetic. I also use it on my barrel and receiver of my 870 wingmaster, but keep it away from the wood. I also use it on an 80 year old AH Fox double barrel...

I break all the guns completly apart and spray them down, well the parts that get dirty... on the synthetics I do not care, nor have I hurt them... I run dry patches down the barrel until they come clean, then I spray "lightly" with Break Free CLP and wipe down. I also run a patch with Break Free down the barrel to protect it. Sometimes I even wet the inside of the barrel and scrub with a brass brush... non-chlorinated brake cleaner is SUPER cheap - by the cheapest can at Walmart!

Long and short, use non-chlorinated - safe for synthetics... I would keep it away from a wood stock or foregrip.

:EDIT: - I also use this on my handguns as well and finish protect with Break Free CLP :yay:

JustynSayneBand

LOL, I thought I was the only one who has ever done that, man does that stuff take the gunk off of muzzleloader like you could not believe, if you can handle the fumes, GO FOR IT!

I have also used it on barrels when prepping for reblueing as well, works great.

I also would not suggest getting too close to wood, but, I have never used it for wood, but if you wanna clean the metal nooks and crannys of a firearm, that CRC Break-Free cleaner will take off the grease and grime off like a magic potion, especially blackpowder residue.

However, it goes without saying, but, take your smoke break somewhere else, the gun won't be the only thing going BOOM!

Last edited:

dustin

UAIOE
I use non-Chlorinated Brake cleaner on my Black Powder, Benelli 12 ga. Nova Synthetic and my son's Charles Daly Youth 20ga Synthetic. I also use it on my barrel and receiver of my 870 wingmaster, but keep it away from the wood. I also use it on an 80 year old AH Fox double barrel...

I break all the guns completly apart and spray them down, well the parts that get dirty... on the synthetics I do not care, nor have I hurt them... I run dry patches down the barrel until they come clean, then I spray "lightly" with Break Free CLP and wipe down. I also run a patch with Break Free down the barrel to protect it. Sometimes I even wet the inside of the barrel and scrub with a brass brush... non-chlorinated brake cleaner is SUPER cheap - by the cheapest can at Walmart!

Long and short, use non-chlorinated - safe for synthetics... I would keep it away from a wood stock or foregrip.

:EDIT: - I also use this on my handguns as well and finish protect with Break Free CLP :yay:
Thanks for the info! I think following up with the Break Free is good idea, so I'll make a mental note to do that next time. I have el cheapo brake cleaner and carb cleaner sitting around all over the place... :lol: (i'll be sure to check it for being non chlorinated)

dustin

UAIOE
LOL, I thought I was the only one who has ever done that, man does that stuff take the gunk off of muzzleloader like you could not believe, if you can handle the fumes, GO FOR IT!

I have also used it on barrels when prepping for reblueing as well, works great.

I also would not suggest getting too close to wood, but, I have never used it for wood, but if you wanna clean the metal nooks and crannys of a firearm, that CRC Break-Free cleaner will take off the grease and grime off like a magic potion, especially blackpowder residue.

However, it goes without saying, but, take your smoke break somewhere else, the gun won't be the only thing going BOOM!
:cheers:

However, it goes without saying, but, take your smoke break somewhere else.

True - if you do not it will turn you into a dog, all you will hear is "WOOF" :lmao:

Yep - have done this for years and many other friends as well in SOMD!

Works GREAT for Blackpowder, you can get those breach plugs and nipples (11 caps not your chest nipples) squeaky clean! :yahoo:

dustin

UAIOE
and don't get me wrong i try not to be el cheap suave, but
i think i'm probably OCD with the cleaning... so i use a lot of the break free :lol:

and don't get me wrong i try not to be el cheap suave, but
i think i'm probably OCD with the cleaning... so i use a lot of the break free :lol:

I am anal with my guns - and I probably clean them more than I need to... but regardless, Break-Free is REALLY good stuff and I like the protection and lubrication value.

But for the stuck-on, grimy, nasty crud - you cannot beat NC brake cleaner! It is cheap, a TON of pressure to blast stuff away...

One tip - be carefully because the stuff is pressurized pretty high! I normally wear eye protection when I blow out the receiver areas...

JustynSayneBand had a GREAT point - he uses it before he re-blues... remember, this stuff removes ALL lube, so make sure you re-lube your parts, but you knew that! :dance: