Cleaning Make-up Brushes

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
I had a stroke of genius this morning (well maybe) as I was putting on my make-up and realized that I needed to clean my brushes this weekend. Usually a fairly tedious task as I wash them individually by hand.

My thought is... I clean my hairbrushes, bath accessories, etc in the dishwasher. Not with dishes of course but a load by themselves. Think I can throw my make-up brushes in with it? I use the light cycle, use organic dishwasher detergent, and never heat dry. I have good quality brushes that I don't think will get damaged. Anyone else ever try this?

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I had a stroke of genius this morning (well maybe) as I was putting on my make-up and realized that I needed to clean my brushes this weekend. Usually a fairly tedious task as I wash them individually by hand.

My thought is... I clean my hairbrushes, bath accessories, etc in the dishwasher. Not with dishes of course but a load by themselves. Think I can throw my make-up brushes in with it? I use the light cycle, use organic dishwasher detergent, and never heat dry. I have good quality brushes that I don't think will get damaged. Anyone else ever try this?

My concern would be that the hot water might soften the adhesive.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
My concern would be that the hot water might soften the adhesive.

Good point. Let me do some investigation on my brushes.

One of my hairbrushes is boars hair, or camel hair, or some type of hair and after digging my hair out of it, it washes beautifully. I've had it for at least 10 years but a couple months ago the handle where the wood and rubber grippy part meet it did come apart. Gorilla glue took care of that but it was just the handle.

I'd be devistated if the bristles on my make-up brushes came out.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
I typically wash my brushes with some shampoo under running water in order to remove the more topical make-up deposits. After ensuring that the water runs pretty clear, I then toss the brushes in the washing machine with my regular clothes. The brushes turn out nice and clean. :shrug:

I once just popped the brushes in the washer without doing the shampoo pre-wash, and discovered that some of the excess make-up deposited on my towels and created clearly-defined make-up blotches.

I've never had a problem with the adhesive weakening in the hot water wash.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
I typically wash my brushes with some shampoo under running water in order to remove the more topical make-up deposits. After ensuring that the water runs pretty clear, I then toss the brushes in the washing machine with my regular clothes. The brushes turn out nice and clean. :shrug:

I once just popped the brushes in the washer without doing the shampoo pre-wash, and discovered that some of the excess make-up deposited on my towels and created clearly-defined make-up blotches.

I've never had a problem with the adhesive weakening in the hot water wash.

Good to know.... I did just consider that I put the bbq baster brush thingy in the dishwaser without issue and that's on a regular cycle.

Maybe I'll try it this weekend with the pinched type brushes first and report back.

lovinmaryland

I just make up a solution of water, alcohol, & baby shampoo. Dip the brushes, swirl them around, then rinse. Easy Peasy. May take 5 minutes tops to do all of them.

Not sure I would trust putting them in the dishwasher though.

nobody really

I need a nap
good ideas!

never thought about putting them in the dishwasher (excellent idea for hairburshes!). i usually do what lm does...

Roman

never thought about putting them in the dishwasher (excellent idea for hairburshes!). i usually do what lm does...

I put my Tooth Brushes in the Dish Washer too.! With the Make-Up brushes, I'd be afraid that the hair would come out of them.