Cleaning Wild Game

keekee

I would like to learn how to clean, cut, and package wild game. Obviously you can't sign up for this at CSM. So what is the best way to learn? I have no family members who hunt, and most people I know just go to a butcher.

Books? Vidoes? or is there actually some place that offers classes?

Is it best to start out with small game, and work up to larger animals?

:confused:

Vince

Believe it or not, I learned from my mother. She grew up in a family of all girls and half of what they ate, my grandfather hunted for. The other half they raised, i.e. pigs, cows, chickens, etc. And Mom didn't believe in wasting anything when she and her sisters butchered something. Don't know where you could learn to do that today unless you started hunting and learn from whomever you hunt with. I butcher my own deer because I'm picky.

keekee said:
I would like to learn how to clean, cut, and package wild game. Obviously you can't sign up for this at CSM. So what is the best way to learn? I have no family members who hunt, and most people I know just go to a butcher.

You aren't planning on getting rid of someone are you? :lmao:
Have you ever cut up a whole chicken? If not it's a good place to start. Butchering is not hard. Cleaning is a whole different thing. You have to be very careful or you'll ruin the meat. I think you can order videos. Get a hunting mag and check the ads or go on line and look. Plus you can order a couple cool knives. :yay:

HillBillyChick

keekee said:

The larger animals, IMHO, are easier. If I were you, I would check out one of the local places that process deer. There is one at the end of Flat Iron Road on the St. Andrews end.

HillBillyChick said:
The larger animals, IMHO, are easier. If I were you, I would check out one of the local places that process deer. There is one at the end of Flat Iron Road on the St. Andrews end.
I don't know about that. I can clean a dove in less than 20 seconds I'm sure. A deer would take a bit longer. :lmao:

keekee

desertrat said:
You aren't planning on getting rid of someone are you? :lmao:
Have you ever cut up a whole chicken? If not it's a good place to start. Butchering is not hard. Cleaning is a whole different thing. You have to be very careful or you'll ruin the meat. I think you can order videos. Get a hunting mag and check the ads or go on line and look. Plus you can order a couple cool knives. :yay:

I've cut up chickens, but probably not correctly. I just look for the joints and cut thru the cartilage. I do want to learn how to clean game as well.

I saw a couple of books online by Monte Burch. I need to read some reviews, and then I'll buy them if the reviews are good. One is for cleaning/butchering deer, and the other is for wild birds.

keekee

HillBillyChick said:

I thought about asking that guy on Flat Iron if I could watch him butcher a few deer. But I think it might be a strange request since I don't know him(?)

Booboo3604

keekee said:
I thought about asking that guy on Flat Iron if I could watch him butcher a few deer. But I think it might be a strange request since I don't know him(?)

You should do that. Watching helps but also ask if you can help him do it. This year me and my boyfriend did the request for deer to make jerky for the troops. He's hunted his whole life and I have went with him but never hunted, let alone cleaned anything. Well his dad took the flyer to the managed hunts he does for DNR and at once we have 4 deer donated. The first one took us a little bit but after that they were taking us 45 minutes to an hour beginning to end. Its not hard, you just have to know what you are doing. Let me know if you cant find a place and I'll try to help you out!

mingiz

Horse Poor
beerlover said:
My neighbors have a pretty good sized dog that barks all night -- you could start there.

Do you live close to me? I have a neighbor that there dog barks all night long & day also. Very irritating..... :burning:

D

dems4me

I was thinking this thread would be about a wild cleaning game :doh:

keekee

dems4me said:
I was thinking this thread would be about a wild cleaning game :doh:

:lmao: That's easy. Have 3 or 4 drinks, turn the music up loud, and cleaning is not so bad.

D

dems4me

keekee said:
:lmao: That's easy. Have 3 or 4 drinks, turn the music up loud, and cleaning is not so bad.

I don't mind cleaning, thats usually what I do on weekends. I like doing things where you can see a before and after effect :smile: I'll try the drinking thing though...:yay: