St. Mary's Co. Click It or Ticket: Buckle Your Seat Belts

With over 120 years of experience, their team of lawyers and experienced legal support professionals work to help you in a time of legal need.
The St. Mary's County Sheriff's Office is participating in the national Border to Border initiative today, Nov. 16, 2020, to enforce seat-belt use. Driving or riding in a vehicle without wearing a seat belt will result in a ticket. Seat-belt use is the single-most effective way to survive a vehicular crash, according to transportation officials. The goal of the Border to Border campaign is to reduce traffic fatalities and to save lives.

The national seat belt use rate in the United States is at 90.7 percent. In St. Mary's County, the seat belt usage rate is 90.2 percent, lower than that of Calvert and Charles counties.

The Click It or Ticket enforcement initiative this year runs from Nov. 16-29, 2020.

Disclaimer: In the U.S.A., all persons accused of a crime by the State are presumed to be innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. See: https://so.md/presumed-innocence. Additionally, all of the information provided above is solely from the perspective of the respective law enforcement agency and does not provide any direct input from the accused or persons otherwise mentioned. You can find additional information about the case by searching the Maryland Judiciary Case Search Database using the accused's name and date of birth. The database is online at https://so.md/mdcasesearch . Persons named who have been found innocent or not guilty of all charges in the respective case, and/or have had the case ordered expunged by the court can have their name, age, and city redacted by following the process defined at https://so.md/expungeme.

glhs837

Power with Control
They have nothing better to do?

Than get that grant money, well, no. That's what's at the heart of this, like the other waves like Smooth Operator. It's a self licking ice cream cone of Fed govt grant. Feds wave lots of overtime cash around in return for enforcement hours dedicated to the cause. Its the enforcement equivalent of academia's "publish or die"

glhs837

Power with Control
I understand that, its a huge waste of manpower and tax dollars.

Yet another fine example of paying the Fed extra dollars to stick themselves into a local problem. 500 mil in taxes in for 100 million back out in results.

glhs837

Power with Control
Distracted driving in general, failure to signal, driving too freaking slow, no lights in the fog, rain or when it's dark.....

I mean I get all those things are annoying but the cell phones are the big killer.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Listening to the scanner in Calvert, when they perform these campaigns, they are calling ahead for both seatbelt AND cell phone/texting violations. It is continuous on whatever stretch of road they are on (assuming 2/4)
Since I wear a seat belt and do not text and rarely (hands free) talk on a cell when driving, it doesn't affect me.
However, I am happy when I hear these going on. Distracted driving; which we all see every day with cell phones and texting, really needs to be curbed. So many people think they can drive safely while performing what they must deem as a necessity, and having been beside and behind them, I disagree. It scares the crap out of me and I keep my distance.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I mean I get all those things are annoying but the cell phones are the big killer.
distracted driving is distracted driving. I've seen people engaged in conversation with the person next to them or in the back seat, completely unaware of what was going on around them. Hands free - driving - as they had to use their hands when talking so they weren't on the wheel.

glhs837

Power with Control
distracted driving is distracted driving. I've seen people engaged in conversation with the person next to them or in the back seat, completely unaware of what was going on around them. Hands free - driving - as they had to use their hands when talking so they weren't on the wheel.

I too see distracted drivers. Many of them. But for most, it's a momentary distraction. The cell phones seem to be a lot worse. When I see someone driving like a drunk, its far more often they have a cell in their hands than a passenger in their ear.

black dog

Free America
Listening to the scanner in Calvert, when they perform these campaigns, they are calling ahead for both seatbelt AND cell phone/texting violations. It is continuous on whatever stretch of road they are on (assuming 2/4)
Since I wear a seat belt and do not text and rarely (hands free) talk on a cell when driving, it doesn't affect me.
However, I am happy when I hear these going on. Distracted driving; which we all see every day with cell phones and texting, really needs to be curbed. So many people think they can drive safely while performing what they must deem as a necessity, and having been beside and behind them, I disagree. It scares the crap out of me and I keep my distance.

Seatbelt laws are nothing more than feel good money spending laws, When I'm wraped in 4,000 lbs of steel driving my dually I have to wear a seatbelt. When riding on a 700 lb motorcycle I'm required to wear safety glasses.... Seatbelt laws are stupid.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

They have nothing better to do?
They get Federal Funds to do this
Distracted driving in general, failure to signal, driving too freaking slow, no lights in the fog, rain or when it's dark.....
they are calling ahead for both seatbelt AND cell phone/texting violations.
Seatbelt laws
The commonality? But, "if it saves just one life", mantra.

Juxtapose to ... If we created a nationwide law, and we could prevent just one single instance of vote fraud by requiring voter identification, and only paper, hand counted ballots, we would ensure the integrity of elections in our Republic, it would be worth it.

Unfortunately, one is not a money maker.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Juxtapose to ... If we created a nationwide law, and we could prevent just one single instance of vote fraud by requiring voter identification, and only paper, hand counted ballots, we would ensure the integrity of elections in our Republic, it would be worth it.

Yep

BernieP

Resident PIA
If I may ...

The commonality? But, "if it saves just one life", mantra.

Unfortunately, one is not a money maker.
It can be argued seat belts, like helmets, save taxpayers money for every person who is involved in an incident that isn't disabled.