CMC hits on sailors, blames the Goat Locker

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Looks like a good day for picking on the Navy. I guess being reminded almost daily about sexual harassment didn't work for this guy. I bet if the command climate was such that the first E-3 this guy hit on reported it, something would have been done.

Now that the sailors who were handed 'stress cards' in boot camp are rising to power decades later, expect to see more of this type of reaction from offenders. "It's not my fault, they should have stopped me'".

To be honest anyone that spent a considerable amount of time in any branch of the service has seen many offenses go unpunished. Junior ranks get hung out to dry while the higher ups get letters of reprimand. The Admiral Metcalf incident from Grenada comes to mind.

Shumate even hit on a married sailor and was confronted by her enraged husband. It would have been interesting to see how that went if the guy was also military and they came to blows.

Command Master Chief (SW/AW/IDW) James Shumate had an off-color style.

At Strike Fighter Squadron 86, Shumate had a habit of kissing, touching and
inviting women of all ranks to go home with him — especially his own junior
sailors at the Lemoore, California-based F/A-18E squadron.

When confronted about this, Shumate said he was disappointed that his chief’s
mess hadn’t done more — to stop him.

“And just, for the record, I’m kind of disappointed in my mess, for this, in
Fallon, that they didn’t do anything to stop me,” Shumate said,

SG_Player1974

He'll get a slap on the wrist.

Reminds me of the time when my CO made an announcement at quarters that "Any sailor caught in a DUI will be processed out of the Navy!"

THAT WEEKEND... we had an E-6 and an E-2 get DUIs......

The E-2 was processed out. The E-6 was given a reprimand and restriction! NOT EVEN A BUST IN RANK!!!!

Rank and friendship has its privileges!

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Different spanks for different ranks.

Stress cards? STRESS CARDS? Didn't exist in '72, but I did hear of them in the 90's as I was finishing up my reserves for retirement. Boot Camp in '72 was way too easy. The only stress we had in RTC Orlando was service week, and I stayed in the barracks as laundry PO. Our RCPO was an absolute moron.

limblips

PREMO Member
The Commander-in-Chief blames everyone else for his foibles, why should the troops not be able to use the same tactics?