Cmon Rain… My AC is out!

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I could do without. I was hoping to go work in my daughter's garden in the morning. Hopefully @Sneakers or @RoseRed will fill us in later on that area. I don't need any at the moment, myself.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
I am an idiot.
I noticed our upstairs thermostat had no power.
So, I check and recycle the breaker. Nothing.

So I pull the fuse cartridge in the box at the outdoor unit.
Fuses good.

Break out the shop vac and suck out lots of water from the condensation line.
Unit shuts down if it can’t extract condensation (water) from the unit.

Boom, power is back on the thermostat.
It says it cooling, but no cold air coming out of the vents.
Unit outside is not kicking on.

I call service tech.
Fixes the issue in less than 5 minutes.

I PUT THE ****ING FUSE BACK IN UPSIDE DOWN!!!!!!!
Shutting off power to the outside (heat pump) unit.

F’ Me.
$130 dollar lesson.
But he did give me a break, because I actually fixed the original problem.
Lucky me.

rio

I am an idiot.

Fuses good.

I call service tech.

F’ Me.
$130 dollar lesson.
Lucky me.
I'm only laughing because I've had a similar experience!

rio

Wind is blowing and there's rumbling. Don't care if rains or not, just keep the cool air coming!

Grumpy

I am an idiot.

Fuses good.

I call service tech.

F’ Me.
$130 dollar lesson.
Lucky me.
Love honesty :yay:

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I could do without. I was hoping to go work in my daughter's garden in the morning. Hopefully @Sneakers or @RoseRed will fill us in later on that area. I don't need any at the moment, myself.
Can't help ya. Just got home, spent the day in DC with friends. No idea what it looks like out there. Really good t-storms in DC tho. Wind, heavy rain....

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
My AC went out overnight Friday into Saturday. I know nothing about that kind of stuff - except to check the very obvious circuit breaker, etc. Turns out it was a / the capacitor. Nice little emergency service charge + the cost of the part.

Oh, and the first company I called couldn't come out until Monday and was very unclear about their "24/7 Emergency call" service - because I'd explained the sitch - woke up - no AC (went to bed with AC) I just figured they couldn't get out until Monday because they were so busy - this is typical Murphy's Law, right. Besides, if things got so bad here in the house, Thing1 and I could go to a hotel - I was prepared to deal.

When Thing2, my Firefighter/EMS son talked to me that morning, he said - "mom, it's going to be 95* today and tomorrow - you don't have AC - I'd consider that an emergency". He urged me to call back and ask more about their emergency call service. So, I did. I called and asked what constituted an emergency and the young man who answered had to put me on hold to ask. :rolleyes: When he came back on the phone, he spoke so fast I couldn't understand him, so I asked him to repeat it and he then began speaking as though I was an idiot. :rolleyes: His answer was basically "we've filled all of our emergency slots". My job IS Customer Service in a service business and I know that you have to judge these types of things on a case by case basis, so I GET IT, but the answer didn't really make sense. I then said "you only have a certain number of emergency slots?" To which he replied (verrrrrry slooooowwwwly) "Yes-and-all-of-them-are-filled-with-people-who-think-they-have-emergencies-just-like-you".

I thanked him, (he didn't deserve that reply, but I was going to deal with them again later) I hung up and called another company locally her in PF. I paid DOUBLE the service charge and they came out ON Saturday by 2pm and it was fixy-fixed. (for now - I have a 22 year old system, and I'm sure it's on borrowed time)

Hijinx

I live in an old house with window shakers for AC. I looked into central air but they would have to run ducts and the cost of the system is pretty high.
I put the window shakers back in just ahead of the hot days and everything is cool.
They do a nice job for my house just a little more noisy that Central air.

I am used to them and the really good thing about them is if they break down I take them out of the window go to Lowes and buy a new one for less than most service charges to fix Central air. But then I haven't had to buy a new one for a long time. They keep saying the new ones are more energy saving, but they said the same thing about my furnace and it uses as much fuel as the old one. I think they bullsht people a lot about energy savings in new appliances.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I second the window shakers. It's a small house and room sized units work fine. If one goes out, a trip to the store with $200 will replace it. It's currently 72°F inside and I'm thinking about turning on a space heater.