Coach placed on leave after calling player ‘Buckwheat’

Misfit

Lawful neutral
http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/loca...-hot-water-over-nickname-for-player/20229489/

"When he was going over the play he wrote it down on the board," Ogbuta said.

She said teammates had laughed, and her daughter found out later online who "Buckwheat" was.

She said her daughter was called "Buckwheat," the iconic Little Rascals character from 1930s. She said her daughter was called it several times during a game last week.

On Tuesday we learned Coach Jackson was placed on administrative leave as the district investigates.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
That's what passes for "vicious" these days? Buckwheat?

Hoo boy.

I'm sure the coach meant it in teasing, since he nicknamed the other kids too, but he's still a dumbass. Not sure he should be throw in the gulag and Clockwork Oranged for hours on end, but he could definitely use a session with Miss Manners.

sockgirl77

Yeah, he's a basketball coach and is racist. Basketball! :rolleyes:

Every coach I've ever had nicknamed the players something stupid. Not once did we get offended. Hell, I can remember the name Douchebag coming out of a coach's mouth a few times towards a teammate's boyfriend. :lol:

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
We are becoming a nation of the chronically offended.

I love the part where the coach apologizes but the adults feel it wasn't sincere. SMH

sockgirl77

We are becoming a nation of the chronically offended.

I love the part where the coach apologizes but the adults feel it wasn't sincere. SMH

What's funny is I can remember people saying "Otay Buckwheat" as a general response. Nothing racist. It's been said to me and I'm high-yellow indian and german. :lol:

AnthonyJames

R.I.P. My Brother Rick
Too bad he didn't call her Farina, who was actually a boy playing the role of a girl. That would have given gays an opportunity to be offended also.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
What's funny is I can remember people saying "Otay Buckwheat" as a general response. Nothing racist. It's been said to me and I'm high-yellow indian and german. :lol:

We got that from Eddie Murphy. "Wookin pah nub in aw da wong paces..."

Even I am too young to remember Little Rascals - that was my Mom's generation.