Coal Miners Push Electric Car

PeoplesElbow

TUCKER COUNTY, W.Va. (WBOY) – On Friday, an electric vehicle broke down along Corridor H in Tucker County on its way to a weekend getaway in Davis. Luckily, a group of local coal miners were happy to help.

Tucker County’s Senator Randy Smith documented the moment on Facebook. The car broke down right in front of the Mettiki Coal access road on US 48, which is several miles from Davis. “Someone called one of our foreman and told him a car was broke down in the middle of our haul road,” said Smith’s post.

glhs837

Power with Control
Sounds fishy to me. I mean I know that EVs other than Tesla are hard to find charging point for, but the sheer coincidence of this seems pretty crazy. Like quite a lot of cars, that Kia Niro has a point in the front bumper where you can pop off a cover and screw in the tow hook.

But then the story changes that a tow truck cant be found that far out. Which is odd, because Daves Towing is only 25 minutes away in Davis.

Add in the DC plates, and I suspect photo op with a staffers car.

Oh, and to get to 100% charge is 60 hours using an extension cord. Seems that 10-20 hours sitting at a shack in the coal mine might not be awesome.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
All that coal must have scared the rainbows and unicorns away.

glhs837

Power with Control
Perhaps. On the other hand, this isn't some BLOG, it's the TV station, so it's possible they got SOME things right.

Well, they basically just regurgitated the good Senators FB post, soooo :) Heres the good State Senator, who apparently works at said coal mine, FB page. September 2nd is the date of the post. If anyone finds a corroborating source, I would love to see it. Everything I see is regurgitation of that original post.

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
And the whole point of this is pretty much this:
So, what happens when there's no electricity being generated because we have killed the production of fossil fuels? Perhaps we should be investing in horses...

(And I didn't even have to mention the fact that our power plants are always targets for terrorists....)

glhs837

Power with Control
And the whole point of this is pretty much this:
So, what happens when there's no electricity being generated because we have killed the production of fossil fuels? Perhaps we should be investing in horses...

(And I didn't even have to mention the fact that our power plants are always targets for terrorists....)

Same thing that happens to your car. Perhaps we should be investing in small smart nuclear? You cant make gas with nuke, but you can make electricity and save valuable petroleum for things that last.

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
Same thing that happens to your car. Perhaps we should be investing in small smart nuclear? You cant make gas with nuke, but you can make electricity and save valuable petroleum for things that last.
I drive my gas-powered cars until they basically become undriveable due to age/condition. I didn't mention that no one backing the big push for all electric cars has yet addressed the cost-prohibitive battery replacement issue and what measures will be taken to bring the cost down to the point that it is NOT more sensible to just buy a whole new car. Oh, and then there are the disposal issues as well.

Nope, I'm not jumping on the electric car bandwagon just yet as I see too many issues brought about by a "failure to think things through". No one should be pushing a total conversion to these vehicles until some of the issues get resolved.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I didn't mention that no one backing the big push for all electric cars has yet addressed the cost-prohibitive battery replacement issue and what measures will be taken to bring the cost down to the point that it is NOT more sensible to just buy a whole new car
Well, part of that is negated by the battery life. Most are good for 150-200,000 miles, in a lot of cases, longer life than the vehicle they are in. They only time they might need replacement is total failure, and even then cottage repair industries are popping up.

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
Well, part of that is negated by the battery life. Most are good for 150-200,000 miles, in a lot of cases, longer life than the vehicle they are in. They only time they might need replacement is total failure, and even then cottage repair industries are popping up.
My oldest has a Chevy Volt. There is a recall due to battery issues. She's been waiting for a replacement for months. They don't have them. She, her hubby and their baby drove that car to western PA for a Christmas visit with the Grandma/Great Grandma. They ended up stopping and staying at a hotel overnight during the 360 mile trip because the battery charge is only good for 300 miles and ALL 3 of the charging stations along the way were broken.

There are multiple issues with converting solely to electric cars and until ALL of those issues are addressed, no state has any business mandating that only electric cars are permitted. That's all that I'm saying. If they want to go all-in on this policy, they need to ensure that all of the necessary supports are in place to make it successful. Right now, they're not.

glhs837

Power with Control
My oldest has a Chevy Volt. There is a recall due to battery issues. She's been waiting for a replacement for months. They don't have them. She, her hubby and their baby drove that car to western PA for a Christmas visit with the Grandma/Great Grandma. They ended up stopping and staying at a hotel overnight during the 360 mile trip because the battery charge is only good for 300 miles and ALL 3 of the charging stations along the way were broken.

There are multiple issues with converting solely to electric cars and until ALL of those issues are addressed, no state has any business mandating that only electric cars are permitted. That's all that I'm saying. If they want to go all-in on this policy, they need to ensure that all of the necessary supports are in place to make it successful. Right now, they're not.

Ah, she has a Bolt, not a Volt. Maybe? The Volt has a +400 mile range and is a early design hybrid. The Bolt only has a 250 mile range.

Two points.

1. Dont buy GM EVs
2. Dont buy EVs that dont have a decent charging network and expect road trips to not suck.

Yep, this advise means you can only buy a Tesla, and those are not affordable yet. And no, I'm not one, and neither is Sneakers, to advocate forced adoption, we both agree market forces should be the guide here. Without the govt thumb on the scale. Recycling is happening already for EV batteries, and as time goes on, repaired and recycled packs will be more readily available. No new tech ever springs forth ready for everything.

And no, you cant just plant all the infrastructure ahead of time. That will grow as adoption grows.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Ah, she has a Bolt, not a Volt. Maybe? The Volt has a +400 mile range and is a early design hybrid. The Bolt only has a 250 mile range.

Two points.

1. Dont buy GM EVs
2. Dont buy EVs that dont have a decent charging network and expect road trips to not suck.

Yep, this advise means you can only buy a Tesla, and those are not affordable yet. And no, I'm not one, and neither is Sneakers, to advocate forced adoption, we both agree market forces should be the guide here. Without the govt thumb on the scale. Recycling is happening already for EV batteries, and as time goes on, repaired and recycled packs will be more readily available. No new tech ever springs forth ready for everything.

And no, you cant just plant all the infrastructure ahead of time. That will grow as adoption grows.
The Bolt/Volt thing always threw me and I'm a GM guy.

PeoplesElbow

Two points.

1. Dont buy GM EVs

Usually only a few cells in the pack need replaced. When most people talk about replacement costs they are talking the entire battery pack and from the dealer. Pretty similar to going to the dealer for a transmission job, in most cases that is much more than finding a good transmission guy.

I still believe plug in hybrids are better because of the nearly unlimited range due to the ICE and a commuting range on electric only. People are still paying $15k above retail for the RAV4 prime.

twinoaks207

Having Fun!

Two points.

1. Dont buy GM EVs

Thanks for the info. We tried to talk her out of it, but it is our own fault for raising a tree hugging child. She is our model for conservation and taking care of the earth and she learned very well. For some reason I thought it was a 300 mile range but she bought it a while ago and I was more concerned with where she would find charging stations.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
but it is our own fault for raising a tree hugging child. She is our model for conservation and taking care of the earth and she learned very well.
What did she learn? Cleaning up the air while poisoning the water and land. That's the trade-off. We (the USA) is pretty damn good with our reduction in pollutants from fossil fuels, how good will we be in dealing with the toxic wastes that mining and processing generate?

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
What did she learn? Cleaning up the air while poisoning the water and land. That's the trade-off. We (the USA) is pretty damn good with our reduction in pollutants from fossil fuels, how good will we be in dealing with the toxic wastes that mining and processing generate?
She learned the trick to balancing needs and wants, to do things that we can to assist our planet while balancing the needs of the people on this planet with the need to ensure that the planet hangs around since we haven't yet mastered interstellar travel/communication/resettling. It IS all a balancing act. It is not an either/or proposition.

glhs837

Power with Control
Usually only a few cells in the pack need replaced. When most people talk about replacement costs they are talking the entire battery pack and from the dealer. Pretty similar to going to the dealer for a transmission job, in most cases that is much more than finding a good transmission guy.

I still believe plug in hybrids are better because of the nearly unlimited range due to the ICE and a commuting range on electric only. People are still paying $15k above retail for the RAV4 prime.

I still believe plug in hybrids are better because of the nearly unlimited range due to the ICE and a commuting range on electric only. People are still paying $15k above retail for the RAV4 prim

And I still disagree, I am willing to accept reduced range in return for not dealing with ICE maint. 300 seems fine to me. Although if my budget stretches to the 500 mile range Cybertruck, I'll go for that. Market needs a serious springback for that though :)

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
that we can to assist our planet

:killingme

yeah we all want clean air and water, but thinking YOU are changing the environment causing Global Climate Warming Change

Oh the arrogance

Climate is cyclical .... during Al Gores 20 would tour for an Inconvenient Truth Lies and Supposition

there was an 11 yr span increased Solar Activity ie sun spots .. during which the Ocean released trapped CO2 .. after the sun spot activity decreased the oceans cooled and the CO2 was recaptured ..

glhs837

Power with Control
Yet another reason to beware of electric vehicles....

Electric Vehicle Fire
You do realize that's not a regular passenger electric vehicle, right? It's one of these and it most likely has lead acid batteries in it.

All the statistics we have so far show that electric vehicles even accounting for numbers on the road burn far less than gasoline vehicles do. So You need to spend the same amount of worry about your EV burning in the garage as you would about lightning striking your house. Actually, I'd say it's a safe bet that more houses burned from lightning strikes and they do from electrical vehicle fires