Coffee

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
I started drinking coffee 5 years ago, while spending 7 days in the hospital while my husband recovered from heart surgery. I was in my 50's.

Yeah, my first foray into coffee was hospital coffee. shutter

I've recently discovered the French press. What a delicious cup of coffee!

So, how old were you when you started drinking coffee? and how do you like it prepared?

stgislander

PREMO Member
Probably around 16-17 but that was only occasionally. Uncle Sam made me the coffee drinker I am today. The stronger the better. (But not that burnt crap they foist on you at Starbucks.)

lucky_bee

RBF expert
13 :blushing: I think that's why I'm short.

Our high school and middle school were so small, they were all one building and connected. When I got my license at 16 I'd drop my brothers off on the middle school side, drive across town to Dunkin', grab a coffee for myself and whichever teacher who's class I was about to be late for, (except a hot tea for my English teacher) drive back to the high school side and stroll into 1st period...late but with coffee and no teacher ever cared.

French Press is amazing. I have a Ninja Coffee bar now, love it. I brew it strong/rich and like it with some cream.

General Lee

I started drinking coffee 5 years ago, while spending 7 days in the hospital while my husband recovered from heart surgery. I was in my 50's.

Yeah, my first foray into coffee was hospital coffee. shutter

I've recently discovered the French press. What a delicious cup of coffee!

So, how old were you when you started drinking coffee? and how do you like it prepared?

I make mine with a french press. Although some days I wish for the convenience of a coffee maker or Keurig

Auntie Biache'

I made it through the Navy without ever drinking coffee. I started drinking coffee when I was 26/27. Managing a restaurant that got a shiny, new, monster, espresso machine. Everyone had to learn to use it. I've since drank a lot of coffee. The best cup of regular coffee I've ever had was at The Jefferson https://www.jeffersonhotel.com/ . I used to buy it from their gift shop. Now, I almost exclusively drink espresso.

Attachments

• espresso.JPG
    espresso.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 194
I make mine with a french press. Although some days I wish for the convenience of a coffee maker or Keurig
I did the press for a while too, but it just got to be a pain, especially if I wanted more than one cup. Back to the drip maker.

My favorite coffee at home used to be Dunkin Donuts, but on a whim I tried the Aldi's breakfast blend whole bean and grind it. Been using that for quite a while now.

Also did the Keurig, but could taste the plastic from the k-cup. It was also incredibly expensive, and I had a problem with all the plastic cups going into the trash.

stgislander

PREMO Member
My favorite coffee at home used to be Dunkin Donuts, but on a whim I tried the Aldi's breakfast blend whole bean and grind it. Been using that for quite a while now.

The Dunkin is very good. I haven't tried the Aldi's brand, but I normally stay way from "breakfast blends" since they tend to be lighter roasted. At home I've been drinking Eight O'Clock Central Highlands blend. At work it is Folgers Black Silk.

Toxick

Splat

I was 19 and started a graveyard shift. Coffee was free and plentiful. It was crap, but I didn't realize that until much later.

And I like my coffee like my women - Columbian.

Also, I prefer the French press myself - barring that, a percolator works nicely. Regular coffee pots can do in a pinch, but they lack that magical jenny-say-kwah that coffee should have.

Keurigs are OK, but I'm not a fan of flavored coffees. I like my coffee to taste like coffee in all of its magnificent bitter awesomeness.

General Lee

I actually use Dunkin's brand from the store. Probably is my favorite coffee. Been trying Columbia flavors too.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
When I wasn't drinking it, I'd buy folgers because it was cheap. And I was stingy with the grounds in the Mr Coffee drip pot, hubby always complained that the coffee wasn't strong enough.

Now all you find in our coffee cupboard is Starbucks Sumatra, and if I'm in a hurry and using the drip machine, 3/4 cup of grounds to a 12 cup pot. The spoon stands up in the cup.

Last edited:

lucky_bee

RBF expert
I did the press for a while too, but it just got to be a pain, especially if I wanted more than one cup. Back to the drip maker.

Also did the Keurig, but could taste the plastic from the k-cup. It was also incredibly expensive, and I had a problem with all the plastic cups going into the trash.
I've actually been very surprised by the Aldi's coffee. I typically buy their Sumatra knock-off (do they actually call it sumatra? I can't remember) and I find it very rich and smooth. A few of their seasonal flavors have been awesome as well. They carried a medium-bodied Maple flavor over Fall and Winter and every week I'd buy a pound whether I needed it or not. Got enough to last me until mid Spring :biggrin:

I've tried harris teeter brand beans but found them to be very acidic, both times, so I'm reluctant to try for a third. Dunkin' beans bought from any store are crap...but bought from inside DD are good. Idk why there's a difference. Keurigs were never strong enough for me, always tasted like coffee-flavored water. But my husband insists on keeping it so I keep it stocked with hot chocolate k-cups for the youngest...the only one that actually uses it. Bought him a real hot chocolate at a gourmet coffee shop last week and he said this is weird...it tastes like a chocolate bar! :doh: that's because keurig didn't water it down for ya.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I've been drinking coffee my whole life. Came out of the womb with a cup in my hand looking for a fresh pot.

I drink my coffee straight up, unsullied by cream or sugar, but I also prefer flavored coffees - cinnamon hazelnut in particular, but there was a Bananas Foster roast that I got in Galveston a couple years ago that was memorable. And a maple I got at Speeder and Earl's in Burlington.

My rig is an electric kettle and a pour over maker (Bodum, got it at Target), which makes amazing coffee and is perfect for the motorhome.

NextJen

Raisin cane
I gotta remember to place an order with Black Rifle Coffee Company. I've been wanting to try some of their varieties.