Coffee

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Don't laugh at me.
Decaff.
I drink decaff for a couple reasons. But I enjoy coffee and have a hard time finding good, bold decaff. So I got two 12 oz bags of ground and one box of the pods.
The plus is, I can try it tonight and not worry about being kept awake!
Only a few years ago I’d scoff at the idea of decaf, but lately I’ve come to appreciate it since I don’t sleep as well as I used to.

NextJen

Raisin cane
I’ve come to appreciate it

Follow-up/review. I tried one of the pods right after I got home. I'm usually disappointed with most pods. This was ok, but not the 'wow' I was hoping for. I'll try the ground tomorrow morning. If it's not as strong/rich as I am hoping it will be, I think I'll order a bag of one of their dark roasts and mix them together.

SO.... searching for my camping coffee pot, can't find it. I may have excessed it a while back during a cleaning binge. Ordered a camping pot online https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stansport-Enamel-Percolator-Coffee-Pot-8-Cup/39945298
It looked nice, but after I got it I realized what a piece of crap it is. The body is nice, porcelain over steel, but the basket/stem inside is the thinnest, cheapest piece of aluminum they could possibly use, and was already dented and bent. The lid doesn't fit right. The I realized it didn't have a clear perk cap, so you really didn't know if it was perking (this becomes very important soon...). So I tried it out. I didn't need 8 cups of coffee for a trial run, so I set up for 4 cups. Put it on the stove and got it to boil. Left it for 5 minutes on a roiling boil. Took it off, let it sit, poured a cup. The pour was clear. I mean, water clear. Nothing but hot water. wtf. Took the basket out, the grounds were dry as a bone, it never perked. If it had a clear top, I would have seen this. Cleaned it up and took it back for a refund.

Ok, so all of this leads back to .... what to use. I remembered I still had a French press, and that could work ok camping. Took it out and have been using it for a week. Finally got a great cup out of it, found I wasn't using near enough coffee grounds. It's still a pain if you want more than one cup, but I can work with that until I find a pot I like.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
SO.... searching for my camping coffee pot, can't find it. I may have excessed it a while back during a cleaning binge. Ordered a camping pot online https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stansport-Enamel-Percolator-Coffee-Pot-8-Cup/39945298
It looked nice, but after I got it I realized what a piece of crap it is. The body is nice, porcelain over steel, but the basket/stem inside is the thinnest, cheapest piece of aluminum they could possibly use, and was already dented and bent. The lid doesn't fit right. The I realized it didn't have a clear perk cap, so you really didn't know if it was perking (this becomes very important soon...). So I tried it out. I didn't need 8 cups of coffee for a trial run, so I set up for 4 cups. Put it on the stove and got it to boil. Left it for 5 minutes on a roiling boil. Took it off, let it sit, poured a cup. The pour was clear. I mean, water clear. Nothing but hot water. wtf. Took the basket out, the grounds were dry as a bone, it never perked. If it had a clear top, I would have seen this. Cleaned it up and took it back for a refund.

Ok, so all of this leads back to .... what to use. I remembered I still had a French press, and that could work ok camping. Took it out and have been using it for a week. Finally got a great cup out of it, found I wasn't using near enough coffee grounds. It's still a pain if you want more than one cup, but I can work with that until I find a pot I like.
I have several stovetop/campfire percolator coffee pots but the one I like the most is very well made and I got it at Cabelas. Stainless and fairly heavily built. Big ole glass perc window on top too.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
Found one of these at an estate sale...in Montana. Smells wonderful perking, and a tasty cup of coffee.

Thanks to everyone for replying, has been fun to read everyone's coffee experiences!

After a bit of searching, I got a Faberware Yosemite all stainless 8-cup pot, and it cost less than the 1st pot I bought and returned. Took a day or two of experimenting, but it makes as good a cup of coffee as my good ol' reliable drip. And the coffee is much much hotter than the drip maker.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
BTW, if anyone cares.... Aldi has Maple Bacon flavored coffee. It's not with the coffees, it's in one of the center rows.
Had this coffee in the fridge for a long time, hadn't used it, decided to use it up. But instead of making a pot with just this, I used my regular coffee (Aldi Barissimo Donut Store Blend) and used one less scoop of the donut blend and used one scoop of the maple bacon. This was really good and I've been making it since before Christmas. But I just used up the last of it. Looked online for it. I knew it was a limited offering and might be tough to find. Aldi sold it for about $4. Ebay now- almost $50. :lol: Ok, I don't like it THAT much....

Guess I need to experiment with a few different brands, I've gotten real used the flavor and missed it this morning.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Had this coffee in the fridge for a long time, hadn't used it, decided to use it up. But instead of making a pot with just this, I used my regular coffee (Aldi Barissimo Donut Store Blend) and used one less scoop of the donut blend and used one scoop of the maple bacon. This was really good and I've been making it since before Christmas. But I just used up the last of it. Looked online for it. I knew it was a limited offering and might be tough to find. Aldi sold it for about $4. Ebay now- almost $50. :lol: Ok, I don't like it THAT much....

Guess I need to experiment with a few different brands, I've gotten real used the flavor and missed it this morning.
I remember that one, it was a good one. Let me know if you find a good substitute!

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....

Never did find (at a reasonable price) the maple bacon flavor. However, Giant has a Starbucks Maple Pecan. Since it was the maple flavor I was looking for, I got a pound. I'll try some tomorrow.

A quick look online says it's at most stores, and in 'K'-cups too.

DaSDGuy

Started when I was 12. Parents used a percolator. Nice coffee. Cappochino's? Had a few in Naples and loved them. Gave up trying to find a decent cup around here. Used a french press for years with fresh roasted beans from Coffee Quarter when it first opened. Roasted Friday night and bought a bag of whole beans on Saturday snd ground my own with a burr grinder. Now its just a Keurig. Death Wish Coffee is my favorite.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Started when I was 12. Parents used a percolator. Nice coffee. Cappochino's? Had a few in Naples and loved them. Gave up trying to find a decent cup around here. Used a french press for years with fresh roasted beans from Coffee Quarter when it first opened. Roasted Friday night and bought a bag of whole beans on Saturday snd ground my own with a burr grinder. Now its just a Keurig. Death Wish Coffee is my favorite.
My favorite coffee is a freshly opened can of maxwell house in a percolator over a wood fire on a fall morning.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
The maple pecan is good, I like it. Very similar to the bacon maple which didn't have any bacon taste/smell anyway.

Made it the same way; 3 scoops regular coffee, 1 scoop of the maple pecan. Good taste with being overwhelming.

My favorite coffee is a freshly opened can of maxwell house in a percolator over a wood fire on a fall morning.
Pretty much any coffee over a campfire on a crisp morning is good. :yay:

my-thyme

Patron
Treated myself this morning. Strong coffee with whipped cream, drizzled with chocolate syrup. Yum.

Mighta had 2.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Treated myself this morning. Strong coffee with whipped cream, drizzled with chocolate syrup. Yum.

Mighta had 2.
As she bounces off the walls...

Food Lion has a sugar free hazelnut creamer that I've become addicted to. Folgers black silk, hazelnut creamer, and a splash of milk.

stgislander

PREMO Member
As she bounces off the walls...

Food Lion has a sugar free hazelnut creamer that I've become addicted to. Folgers black silk, hazelnut creamer, and a splash of milk.
Good for you. I HATE hazelnut. Accidently put some hazelnut creamer in my coffee at church this morning. Had to dump it out... which is a sin. :lol:

my-thyme

Patron
Used the last of my creamer yesterday, and didn't get to the store. So this morning, back to my wake up call for years - hot tea.

Oh tea, I've missed you! Earl Gray, delicious.

I'm headed out for creamer now. The coffee bug has got me, but I'm gonna start switching it up with tea.