Coin Dealership

SamSpade

Is there a coin shop around here that buys and sells coins? I am having a hard time finding anything nearby - it keeps kicking me out to online sources.

Mostly trying to unload a cache of coins, all silver. I figure the silver alone is worth making the effort.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Is there a coin shop around here that buys and sells coins? I am having a hard time finding anything nearby - it keeps kicking me out to online sources.

Mostly trying to unload a cache of coins, all silver. I figure the silver alone is worth making the effort.
There are a lot of coins on the weekly online auction site for the Chesapeake Auction house. I am unsure what prices they fetch or how you'd go about selling them on there.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

what and how much ......

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member

I have quite a few myself. As well as stamps.

SamSpade

Really? Lots of old silver coins. I am figuring some gold dealer will buy for the value of the silver.

Probably about 200-300 bucks in face value, which I am guessing for the silver alone is probably worth 10-15 times face value.

UglyBear

I would be interested in buying maybe $200-$300 worth of old silver coins — need them for “tooth fairy” needs.
If you know the market rate for some of them, I would like to buy a small batch from you - avoid the middleman cut and taxes. Just want to make it fair price for both of us.
PM me if interested.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Really? Lots of old silver coins. I am figuring some gold dealer will buy for the value of the silver.

Probably about 200-300 bucks in face value, which I am guessing for the silver alone is probably worth 10-15 times face value.
I just need and want to downsize stuff. This was my dads

Bonehead

What type of coins, Morgans or Peace Dollars ? I collect there are a few key dates. I have the Red Book for US coin values and could look up values for you.

SamSpade

What type of coins, Morgans or Peace Dollars ? I collect there are a few key dates. I have the Red Book for US coin values and could look up values for you.

Not a coin collector and I have to admit - I HAVE seen knock-offs of some coins. When I see a really nice Morgan, my first thought is "replica".

I THINK most of the rolls are Washington quarters and Roosevelt dimes. Wife says there are Liberty Quarters in rolls. Honestly, we just - want - to unload.

Really - just looking to unload. If a sharp collector thinks wow, all of this is worth 2000 and offers 1000, we will take it. Neither of us has the patience to wade through if any are actually more valuable than the silver in 'em.

Grumpy

I'd call a pawn shop and see what they offer..Calvert Pawn buys silver, 410-535-0488. Spot silver price today is $28.11 per ounce, works out to about $5 a quarter. Of course a pawn shop will lowball the hell out of ya but that would give you a bottom line.

Editor

somd.com Editor
Staff member
PREMO Member
Patron
Don't shoot yourself in the foot and give this away. Here are some quick ways to estimate what you have, just based on the silver value, assuming no numismatic value above that...

90% Silver Bag $1000 Face Value sells for $25,000+

Since the early days of silver bullion investing the 90% Silver Bag has been one of the most popular choices worldwide. These $1000 90% Silver Bags contain real U.S. silver coins struck in 1964 or before in denominations of dimes, quarters, or half dollars.

40% Silver Bag $1000 Face Value (??? sold out)

The $1000 Face 40% silver bag is one of the great undervalued silver bullion investments because of low premiums. Real silver coins produced by the US Mint have been popular silver bullion choices since the early 1970’s. And the last big production run released for US circulation was the Kennedy clad half dollar.

Peace and Morgan Dollar Rolls $675-$775
(20 coins per roll)

This company is the most honest and reasonably priced I have encountered. You would also be wise to wait a year or two to sell this. With what cometh this way, these silver prices could very well be 10X times these prices in not too much more time. I would keep it, were it me.

Probably about 200-300 bucks in face value, which I am guessing for the silver alone is probably worth 10-15 times face value

More like 25x today and I would not be surprised to see 100X or more in one year. Of course, a dealer is going to give you much less so they can make a profit. Private party sale is the best way to go, just take security precautions to be sure you don't get jacked.

Anyway, if you have $300 face value in 90% silver coins, you could easily sell it to a retail buyer for $7500.

Last edited:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
If YOU find anything, we could use the info - right now I'm willing to drive to Baltimore or DC if it works
I met a coin guy at the Moose a few years ago and amazingly enough, I still have his card. I'll call him tomorrow and let you know what I find out.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Or the local pawn shops.