Coke Superbowl Ad

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
What's your opinion of Coke's ad?
Offended by singing America the Beautiful in languages other than English or is it a celebration of undocumented immigration?

Od do you agree with Teddy Roosevelt when he said;

Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or leave the country.”

In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the man’s becoming in very fact an American, and nothing but an American. If he tries to keep segregated with men of his own origin and separated from the rest of America, then he isn’t doing his part as an American.

There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag, which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any foreign flag of a nation to which we are hostile.

We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language for we intend to see that the crucible turns our people out as Americans, and American nationality, and not as dwellers in a polyglot boarding house; and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed, to me:
I lift my lamp beside the golden door."

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Legal Immigrants - Want to Assimilate
Illegal Immigrants - only here for a pay check, do not want to assimilate

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad

Then what, do you stay homeless, wretched refuse dependent on government largess or do you become an American?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Then what, do you stay homeless, wretched refuse dependent on government largess or do you become an American?

I'm just saying that's how I perceived that Coke commercial, not as having anything to do with illegal immigration. Not every image has to have a topical connotation.

glhs837

Power with Control

So, it cant be about the fact that we as a nation are made up of partly of people who originally spoke other languages, and those who do so now are part of who we are?

Why for you, does this have to represent the worst of immigration, and not the best? You see the illegals who suck off the teat and don't contribute, I see the legal ones who bust ass, and contribute and who teach their children to do so also. See the good.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
So, it cant be about the fact that we as a nation are made up of partly of people who originally spoke other languages, and those who do so now are part of who we are?

Not with America the Beautiful

Maybe if it was Mexican-American the Beautiful or Armenian-American the Beautiful but not America the Beautiful

I'm all in favor of people immigrating here and becoming Americans but I don't support them coming here and maintaining their identities as citizens of whatever country they left

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I don't support them coming here and maintaining their identities as citizens of whatever country they left

How can you be averse to Chinese takeout and Doritos Locos Tacos? Pizza and lasagna? Lumpia, for god's sake!

We are a melting pot of cultures and that used to be one of our best qualities as a country. What happened to that?

glhs837

Power with Control
Not with America the Beautiful

Maybe if it was Mexican-American the Beautiful or Armenian-American the Beautiful but not America the Beautiful

I'm all in favor of people immigrating here and becoming Americans but I don't support them coming here and maintaining their identities as citizens of whatever country they left

I have no problems with folks remembering where they came from, if nothing else, helps them remember why they left wherever they did to come here. Part of America's beauty is that we are a conglomeration of folks who were not satisfied with where they were. From the Puritans to the Laotians. Those here to take advantage without contributing, agreed, no place for them. I just don't think of this commercial as being about them.

sockgirl77

How can you be averse to Chinese takeout and Doritos Locos Tacos? Pizza and lasagna? Lumpia, for god's sake!

We are a melting pot of cultures and that used to be one of our best qualities as a country. What happened to that?

Fine, but sing OUR song in English please. Thanks.

OH, I had a pic to post but this go-around will not allow me to add attachments.

The pic reads:
Hey Coke! No American Soldier ever served his country so that we could hear America the Beautiful in another language during our Super Bowl! Big Mistake...big, big mistake!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Fine, but sing OUR song in English please. Thanks.

Now see, I think it's an honor and tribute that they sing OUR country's praises in THEIR language. I like it much better than showing foreign douchebags burning our flag and screaming Death to America.

sockgirl77

Now see, I think it's an honor and tribute that they sing OUR country's praises in THEIR language. I like it much better than showing foreign douchebags burning our flag and screaming Death to America.

Frankly, I'd feel honored if they learned our language and sang the damn song the way it should be sang. :shrug:

SamSpade

Emma Lazarus's poem is intended to mock the class distinctions in other countries; not QUITE so much an open invitation for every doofus in the world to come on board. "Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp". There ain't no class here - it's based on what you do.

Alas, we no longer have great big open frontiers aching to be filled with people. As much as we would like people to come - we can't allow every single person who wants to come here to live.

Well, that, and over time we have idiotically granted all kinds of goodies just for showing up. It was one thing to come here and make a life on the prairie as part of a rush to gain settlers (and thus, statehood). Nobody was PAYING you money to sit on the prairie or giving you free healthcare; when the twisters or floods or locusts came, you were on your own.