Cold Food

Auntie Biache'

It's so flippin' hot. I've been trying very hard to stick to "cold" meals, so I don't heat up the kitchen, and it's too hot to stand over the grill.

So far I've done several pasta salads, but one can only eat so much pasta.
Chicken salad is already a staple in our house, and I've recently added shrimp salad, which makes a great sandwich, and is good in a crescent.

What are some of your "cold" meals recipes?

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Turkey and Bacon Club with Pepper Jack Cheese, Lettuce and Tomato on Multigrain bread. B&B pickle slices, a few olives, Iced Tea.

Bonehead

Gazpacho (sp) cold tomato soup with minced vegetables, (celery, onions, small squash, tomatoes, carrots) the colder the better.......V8 works well as a base.

frequentflier

happy to be living
A salad I eat year round is with dark kidney beans, chopped celery, green and red peppers, purple onion and lots of garlic. Mix olive oil and balsamic and cider vinegar, refrigerate and enjoy!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Snackie plates. Devilled eggs, pickles, charcuterie (okay, fine, cold cuts), cheese, olives, crackers, etc. That is a frequent meal in the VraiMonello trailer.

Pickle will like it too because what little kid doesn't want a cracker sandwich?

Christy

b*tch rocket
I do a salad of spinach, basil, and arugula base. Then I add in chilled grilled shrimp (or chicken) grilled red/yellow/orange peppers, grilled zucchini and yellow squash, some orzo and some cannellini beans. Then just squeeze a lemon or two over it and some olive oil, salt, and pepper. Good stuff.

Scat

Mint Watermelon Salad with Avocado

2 Tbsp lime juice

1 Tbsp olive oil

¼ tsp salt

about 4 pounds watermelon, cut into 11⁄2" chunks

avocado, peeled, pitted, and chopped

½ small red onion, thinly sliced

3 Tbsp chopped fresh mint

WHISK together lime juice, oil, and salt in a large bowl.

ADD the watermelon, avocado, onion, and mint, and toss gently to mix.

SERVE chilled

Can substitute lime juice with balsamic vinegar

and basil instead of mint for a different flavor

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Just made my first ever bread and butter refrigerator pickles. Most excellent and so easy. I always thought making pickles took a long time and required familiarity with voodoo, belief in Wiccan teachings, and selling of your soul.
So simple!