Colonial Williamsburg

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Yes, and yes.

There are certain buildings you won't have access to but it's still a nice day and very interesting. You just walk around the town and talk to the docents, visit the stores, get a bite to eat, and watch the demonstrations.

limblips

PREMO Member
Has anyone done Colonial Williamsburg w/ out purchasing the tour tickets? Is it even possible to do?

If you are eligible (military, retired, maybe civil service) Cheatham Annex has a campground. Not anything special, just pads in a field but it is cheap and close to Williamsburg. They do have a small mini-mart for beverages, food etc.... If you aren't able to get in there, Chippokes Plantation SP is just across the James River. You can take the Jamestown-Scotland Ferry across. Very nice park.

lovinmaryland

Yes, and yes.

There are certain buildings you won't have access to but it's still a nice day and very interesting. You just walk around the town and talk to the docents, visit the stores, get a bite to eat, and watch the demonstrations.
Ok perfect thank you. Its a last minute thing and we wont be there all day so I didn't want to plunk down a couple $$$ if I don't have too.
If you are eligible (military, retired, maybe civil service) Cheatham Annex has a campground. Not anything special, just pads in a field but it is cheap and close to Williamsburg. They do have a small mini-mart for beverages, food etc.... If you aren't able to get in there, Chippokes Plantation SP is just across the James River. You can take the Jamestown-Scotland Ferry across. Very nice park.
We'll actually be staying in Richmond but I wanted to spend on of the afternoons over in CW.

Freefaller

Has anyone done Colonial Williamsburg w/ out purchasing the tour tickets? Is it even possible to do?

It is possible to do but it depends what you want. Without a ticket, you can't ride the busses (Although you can purchase that ticket separately), and you can't enter any of the display buildings. You can walk around the town and interact with the costumed characters if you desire. You can attend character talks behind the governors palace, at one end of town and behind Charlton's coffee house at the other end of town (Near the capital). You can go into all the stores and restaurants in the restored area. If your concerned about costs, you probably don't want to eat at the colonial taverns as they are a bit expensive. (I'm talking about Shields Tavern, Kings Arms Tavern, Christiana Campbells Tavern or Chowning's Tavern). You can also watch any other outdoor demonstrations. Usually, at 12:00, you can see the youth, Fife and Drum Corps march / play from the Capital to the Palace. Parking at the visitors center is free.

lovinmaryland

It is possible to do but it depends what you want. Without a ticket, you can't ride the busses (Although you can purchase that ticket separately), and you can't enter any of the display buildings. You can walk around the town and interact with the costumed characters if you desire. You can attend character talks behind the governors palace, at one end of town and behind Charlton's coffee house at the other end of town (Near the capital). You can go into all the stores and restaurants in the restored area. If your concerned about costs, you probably don't want to eat at the colonial taverns as they are a bit expensive. (I'm talking about Shields Tavern, Kings Arms Tavern, Christiana Campbells Tavern or Chowning's Tavern). You can also watch any other outdoor demonstrations. Usually, at 12:00, you can see the youth, Fife and Drum Corps march / play from the Capital to the Palace. Parking at the visitors center is free.

Thank you for all that good info!