color safe shampoo

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
anyone know of a good one for very fine hair? my latest color is quite red, and red fades so quickly. I have been trying my best to care for it properly to extend the wear..but though I have a LOT of hair, what I have is very fine..and because the color safes are so "moisturizing" they weigh my hair down and make it look awful..I have been using the l'oreal sulfate free color shampoo..but it just isn't making my hair look good..I would love to use an expensive salon brand, but I would like to see if there is a cheaper alternative..ideas?

Jameo

What?!
I use the Redken color extend shampoo and condition. I don't have fine hair but it doesn't weigh my hair down like other products I've tried. And if you catch it on sale at JCPenney, it's not too expensive. I'll buy a few bottles when it's on sale.

lovinmaryland

I have had great success w/ Frederic Fekkai or Ojon products. They are a bit on the pricey side, but a nice splurge.

pelers

Was going to suggest the L'oreal stuff. That's what I'm using and I haven't had any weight problems (I also have ridiculously fine hair). But I barely use any conditioner, like a pea sized bit to do the ends and that's it.

doubtfull24

I have VERY LONG hair but like you it is fine and color treated but it is very healthy.I use pantene Aqua Light and love it.It doesn't make my hair feel weighed down and I usually get my hair colored every 3 or 4 months. As far conditioner I use Dove Color Repair it helps prevent color fade and leaves my hair silky smooth but doesn't weight it down. I also curl my hair daily.

Last edited:

Radiant1

Soul Probe
Does Suave make a version? I love their hair products and they are very budget friendly! :yay:

I've been using the new Suave color safe, can't remember the exact name, but it works really well.

:yeahthat: I'm like LT, my hair is fine but I have a lot of it. When she last colored my hair, my stylist actually recommended Suave as a cheaper and acceptable alternative to salon products.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
I thought I would update, because I am a total fan of affordable beauty products (just cuz I'm poor doesn't mean I have to be ugly :killingme )

I found, at CVS, a CVS brand version of a pantene color safe shine shampoo. Now, I was hesistant to try it because my stylist warned me about pantene years ago, its a :nono: for fine hair. But because it was a "shine" version, which I have found generally means that it has less residue/heavy chemicals I decided to try it. I have been using it now for several weeks and I really like it! my hair looks and feels clean, my color has worn evenly and at what I consider to be a slow pace, and best of all, it was pretty darn cheap. Smells pleasant, and I really have noticed a shine to my hair.

:buddies:

MJ

Material Girl
PREMO Member
I thought I would update, because I am a total fan of affordable beauty products (just cuz I'm poor doesn't mean I have to be ugly :killingme )

I found, at CVS, a CVS brand version of a pantene color safe shine shampoo. Now, I was hesistant to try it because my stylist warned me about pantene years ago, its a :nono: for fine hair. But because it was a "shine" version, which I have found generally means that it has less residue/heavy chemicals I decided to try it. I have been using it now for several weeks and I really like it! my hair looks and feels clean, my color has worn evenly and at what I consider to be a slow pace, and best of all, it was pretty darn cheap. Smells pleasant, and I really have noticed a shine to my hair.

I use the Pantene version and love it, so I'm going to try the CVS on based on your excellent review. :smile: Why do stylists hate Pantene so much? I've been using it for years with no problems, but I hear that same comment every so often. I tried using Wen but I felt like I had hippie hair, it always felt heavy and I had to wash it everyday and I hate doing that.

Roman

That sounds good to me! I was in to buying all of these different Shampoos, and thought that if they were expensive, they might work better. NOT! I have Baby Fine Hair that is frizzy right after washing it, until the next day. I don't like using Blow-Dryers, Flat Irons, or the curling Iron on my hair anymore. I have been using Tresseme hair Products on my hair, and I can't believe the difference, which is a good thing. I'll have to try the CVS stuff you mentioned. Thanks...

I use the Aveeno Color safe shampoo... I have very thin hair and this works well for me. Though, I only dye the front to cover up the grey. :yay:

acommondisaster

I use the Pantene version and love it, so I'm going to try the CVS on based on your excellent review. :smile: Why do stylists hate Pantene so much? I've been using it for years with no problems, but I hear that same comment every so often. I tried using Wen but I felt like I had hippie hair, it always felt heavy and I had to wash it everyday and I hate doing that.

I've heard the same thing about staying clear of Pantene if you have color. I usually use Redken color safe. and Smooth Down for the conditioner. My hair needs weighing down - it turns into one big puffball.