Colostrum bank

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
Hi All... Lost my buckskin colt this year at 10 days of age because the vet performing the IGG test did not bring, have, or have a supplement for colostrum when the foal was born. The vet administered plasma ($400 a bag!) and it was not sufficient to save my guy. I was wondering if anyone in So Md maintained a colostrum bank? I have already purchased a pump and analyzer to start a bank of my own, but wanted to know if something was already established. With all the foals being listed, I thought I would ask! :howdy:

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
appendixqh said:
Hi All... Lost my buckskin colt this year at 10 days of age because the vet performing the IGG test did not bring, have, or have a supplement for colostrum when the foal was born. The vet administered plasma ($400 a bag!) and it was not sufficient to save my guy. I was wondering if anyone in So Md maintained a colostrum bank? I have already purchased a pump and analyzer to start a bank of my own, but wanted to know if something was already established. With all the foals being listed, I thought I would ask! :howdy:

OH my that is so sad...Plasma transfusion would not help..I had to do 2 of them last year...

I have 2 mares due to foal this year...FULLY vaccinated to the hilt and will be updated again before foaling..I will contribute to your bank if you tell me (and help) what I need to do...I am so sorry to hear about your foal...did you post pics of him here??

Loper

Animal Poor!
appendixqh said:

appendixqh, I am very sorry to hear of your lost colt!!!! How very sad. I don't do much with babies being born, but I would be willing to donate a little to help you get one started.

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
Loper said:
appendixqh, I am very sorry to hear of your lost colt!!!! How very sad. I don't do much with babies being born, but I would be willing to donate a little to help you get one started.

Paso and Loper...Thank you for your offer of support!

Here is what it entails...I just purchased a mare milking kit, storage bottles, and will be purchasing a colostrum analyzer. From everything I have read, done in the past, and been told, an average mare will produce approximately 5 liters of colostrum in the first 12 to 24 hours after foaling. If the mare is producing good colostrum, it is safe to extract 1 pint approximately 2 hours after foaling, provided the foal has already stood and had 1 good nursing. If this has happened, while the foal in on its second nursing, this is the ideal time to pump the colostrum from the opposite teet that the foal is nursing from. The mare should let down easily and it will take approximately 10 minutes to milk her with relatively no discomfort to the mare using the pump. I will then analyze, lable, and freeze the colostrum which will be good for 2 to 3 years. It will take 2 pints (1 liter) to bank enough for 1 foal that has low IGG numbers. So if we can extract good colostrum from 8 mares a year, we bank enough for 4 foals. I will be glad to help, cover all start up cost and maintain everything!

Here is baby "Retro" that passed away this year, he had incredible breeding, and cute to boot!

Attachments

• Retro Face 2 days.JPG
    Retro Face 2 days.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 113

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Thats a shame he looks really nice...and fat...

PM me your phone numbers I will pm you mine...along with the due dates of my mares....they are due in the fall..(got a bad start when I bought a stud late in the year) I will NOT be breeding them though in 2007 so I should not have foals in 2008 but will spirng of 2009..I will contribute...will people who donate be able to withdrawl? I feel others should donate some $ to withdrawl...I will keep this in my mind for other peeps that have mares due to foal..

Cowgirl

appendixqh said:

Just curious, how old was the dam? Did she not produce enough colostrum?

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
appendixqh said:

Sorry to hear about your baby. :flowers: There is a foaling barn somewhere in Charles County I think, I'll have to ask my friend what barn. She has a horse there now foaling out. They might have a bank there.

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
Cowgirl said:
Just curious, how old was the dam? Did she not produce enough colostrum?

The dam was 11, she has produced 5 foals before, it isn't known if the colostrum was not good enough, a large enough quantity, or if the foal was not absorbing. Her colostrum was not analyzed after foaling, so we don't know.

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
SouthernMdRocks said:
Sorry to hear about your baby. :flowers: There is a foaling barn somewhere in Charles County I think, I'll have to ask my friend what barn. She has a horse there now foaling out. They might have a bank there.

Great ... Thank, you!

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
Pasofever said:
Thats a shame he looks really nice...and fat...

PM me your phone numbers I will pm you mine...along with the due dates of my mares....they are due in the fall..(got a bad start when I bought a stud late in the year) I will NOT be breeding them though in 2007 so I should not have foals in 2008 but will spirng of 2009..I will contribute...will people who donate be able to withdrawl? I feel others should donate some $ to withdrawl...I will keep this in my mind for other peeps that have mares due to foal..

Hey Paso,
What I was thinking was that the people that contribute would be able to withdraw, and once we have a few liters banked, if non-contributors wanted some then they could buy it at a reasonable price to help offset the cost of starting this. It cost me about $250 to get the start up kit, analyzer and some storage bottles.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
appendixqh said:
Hey Paso,
What I was thinking was that the people that contribute would be able to withdraw, and once we have a few liters banked, if non-contributors wanted some then they could buy it at a reasonable price to help offset the cost of starting this. It cost me about $250 to get the start up kit, analyzer and some storage bottles.

I heard it runs about $100 :lmao: I will contriblute..you really dont need the milker..if your mare foals before the milker gets there call me (check your pms) I am good at milking a mare and can get a pint or so easily..