Comcast customers to get NFL Network

Comcast and NFL near deal on digital package: report

Comcast Corp and the U.S. National Football League (NFL) are close to a deal in which the league-owned NFL Network would be put on a widely distributed tier of the cable operator, the Wall Street Journal reported on Tuesday, citing people familiar with the talks.

Under the terms being discussed, the largest U.S. cable TV operator will pay a monthly fee of about 50 cents for each of its estimated 17.3 million subscribers that receive Comcast's expanded digital basic menu of channels, the paper said.
They just announced a few minutes ago that they had reached an agreement. Supposedly, about 2/3 of Comcast customers will now get the NFL Network.

:shrug: We always got it. :confused:

Yeah, they just clarified what they meant. Apparently, their 5 year contract just ran out at the beginning of May and there were concerns that they wouldn't be able to reach a new agreement - or that it would only be available as part of the Sports Package. There had been lawsuits between Comcast and the NFL over their last deal.

But, now it looks like they have a new 10 year deal that will allow the network to be (remain) part of a cheaper package. The lower cost/subscriber rate that the NFL has agreed to may also mean that more cable companies will get the network as well.

Product dilution. The NFL, at the top, is trying to find ways to mess it up.

They are trying to have more control over all phases of the product cycle, and also, obviously, trying to diversify and increase their revenue sources. Generally speaking, it is hard for businesses to do a good job of controlling the whole product cycle. Businesses are usually best served by focusing on what they do best, and letting their business partners focus on what they do best. Businesses need business partners that are heavily invested in their success, in order that they are motivated to promote that success.

I think that the NFL would eventually like to have multiple networks and be the primary distributor of their product - which would likely be a mistake - especially if they can't do a dramatically better job of presenting it than they have done with the NFL Network.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
They are trying to have more control over all phases of the product cycle, and also, obviously, trying to diversify and increase their revenue sources. Generally speaking, it is hard for businesses to do a good job of controlling the whole product cycle. Businesses are usually best served by focusing on what they do best, and letting their business partners focus on what they do best. Businesses need business partners that are heavily invested in their success, in order that they are motivated to promote that success.

I think that the NFL would eventually like to have multiple networks and be the primary distributor of their product - which would likely be a mistake - especially if they can't do a dramatically better job of presenting it than they have done with the NFL Network.

The more people that are invested in your success for their success, the better. Seems so simple, doesn't it?

The buying up of radio stations that Snyder has done, the TV control, all of it, has lead me more and more to simply look at the Redskins as a business absolutely no different than the garbage guys. The sense of being a community entity is gone. The attachments to stations and personalities and the whole community relationship ha been reduced down to nothing but dollars and cents.

If that is all it is to the owners, that's all it's going to be to the community.
I used to look at the people trying to get the Redskins to change their name as an attack on the whole community, across race and class and neighborhood backgrounds; it was OUR Redskins they were trying to say are bad. Now, I see some people having an issue with some soulless corporation.