Comcast vs Direct TV

HORUS

Better than YOU.
Can anyone give me my best options for installing cable TV into 4 rooms of my house without being rapped by service charges and other crap? :confused:
Who has the best rates of all the cable companies for the Charles County area?

I really need some help deciding... Thanks.

Josimmon

When we moved in two months ago, we found that ComCast was the best way for us, but we only have 2 tv's. The dish on our house only works when the trees have no leaves, so direct tv would never work for us. Maybe you can talk them into a discount?

josmom

We use directv and I believe right now they are running a special get 4 rooms installed with all the equipment like 160 channels with local channels and a surround sound system for like close to nothing. We have had Directv for a few years now, and love it, wouldnt go back to cable. With local channels and extended basic package, we only pay about 80 a month, which is about the same as the cable places, but I think that we get more channels than normal cable does.

John Z

if you will
Horus - Give us some more details. Do you want Digital signal? High Definition? Do you have cable wired in your house already?

I just have regular "analog" cable from Comcast, and we've got 4 drops already in our house. We didn't get charged anything extra for installation or for monthly service charge to have those 4 TVs on Basic Plus analog cable. So we're pretty happy now. We also have Comcast cable internet, and we're happy with that too. I think our total monthly bill is $90.

HORUS

Better than YOU.
John Z said:
Horus - Give us some more details. Do you want Digital signal? High Definition? Do you have cable wired in your house already?

I just have regular "analog" cable from Comcast, and we've got 4 drops already in our house. We didn't get charged anything extra for installation or for monthly service charge to have those 4 TVs on Basic Plus analog cable. So we're pretty happy now. We also have Comcast cable internet, and we're happy with that too. I think our total monthly bill is $90.

To be completely honest... I just moved into the house yesterday. I'm not sure what the house is already wired for. :confused:

Vince

Got Comcast in Calvert Co. For about $80 a month I get extended basic, with 10 HBO channels, bunch of music channels, sports, etc. After you knock out all the b/s channels you get about 150 channels. But then who watches that much TV. :shrug: Have had very few outages. And the high def channels are crystal clear.

911Carrera

German American Lead Foot
Cable companies have some advantages and the Dish companies have some advantages. I think it's a matter of what you are interested in.

If you have to have the NFL Package that's only available through Direct TV.

Otherwise I think cable is the way to go.

Cable offers High speed Cable modem service! DirectWay (Dish Internet service) is a very inferior product to cable modem Internet service and much more expensive for an inferior product. Cable modem service is the best for anyone who uses the Internet very much. Once you get it you can't go back. I think it's better and faster than DSL too.

Cable also offers some great High-Def programming. The DVR (Digital Video Recorder) like TIVO is also available with Cable. The DVR is capable of recording High-Def which a regular TIVO or a Dish TIVO unit will not record High-Def programming.

Service calls are free with cable and they are not with Dish companies, unless you pay extra for their maintainence plan ($.95 per month). Otherwise service calls are around $75.00 just for them to show up at your house.

With cable you can wire all the TV's in your household and don't need a converter or receiver to receive basic and standard (expanded basic cable). You would need a converter to receive digital cable, but that's not required on every TV set to receive basic and standard.

I've had both and prefer cable over the Dish.

So I think it depends upon what your interests are...

S

stumpere

We moved to Lexington Park a little over a month ago. We first tried Cable TV and internet. The internet was great but the TV sucks. GMP has basic, advance basic, premium, and some other cable services. In my opinion, the advance basic is actually basic and the premium is actually advance basic. My favorite channel is Sci-Fi, which you only get with premium service and above. I am now looking into The Dish. With The Dish, you get more and better channels for your money.

Last edited by a moderator: