Commerce Secretary threatened firings at NOAA for Contradicting Trump

Sapidus

Ca't wait to hear you guys how this is just business as usual or "a joke" or "locker room talk"

This should concern anyone who cares about the rule of law and democracy that the government is bending to one idiots ego

"The US secretary of commerce, Wilbur Ross, is facing calls for his resignation after it was reported that he had threatened to fire senior staff at a federal agency unless they sided publicly with Donald Trump in the rumbling dispute dubbed “Sharpiegate”.

The New York Times, citing three anonymous officials, reported that Ross had called Neil Jacobs, the acting administrator of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (Noaa), last Friday and warned that heads would roll unless the agency’s disagreement with the US president over the path of Hurricane Dorian was smoothed over.

4000.jpg

'Sharpiegate': meteorologists upset as weather agency defends Trump's Alabama claim

Read more
Earlier in the week, the agency’s Birmingham, Alabama, office incurred Trump’s wrath by publicly repudiating the president’s false claim that Alabama was at risk from a devastating hurricane. By that point Alabama in fact lay outside the storm’s likely trajectory.

In a desperate effort to bolster Trump’s inaccurate statement, a map of the hurricane’s “cone of uncertainty” was presented in the Oval Office that had been altered by Sharpie pen to extend the area of danger over a corner of Alabama.

Hours after Ross’s intervention, the Noaa put out an extraordinary official statement that sided with Trump and admonished its own Birmingham office."

phreddyp

Anyone with a brain.

Why would you want the president to lie to you and then have government employees threatened with losing their jobs for telling the truth?
When they come up with the directive signed by Ross then its news. Unidentified officials don't cut it ! Sorry

Sapidus

I'm sorry Trump has poisoned you against reporting and journalism.

Have you never heard of an anonymous source? "Deep throat perhaps"

Do you not believe that the NYT pays lawyers millions to vet this stuff to avoid lawsuits?

Why wouldn't Trump have sued years ago if all this stuff was baseless?

phreddyp

I'm sorry Trump has poisoned you against reporting and journalism.

Have you never heard of an anonymous source? "Deep throat perhaps"

Do you not believe that the NYT pays lawyers millions to vet this stuff to avoid lawsuits?

Why wouldn't Trump have sued years ago if all this stuff was baseless?
You may believe what YOU want , I prefer proof not hearsay.

Sapidus

Pretty sad the lengths this administration will go to extend the silliest lies, huh?

That’s exactly it. He lies about everything even trivial crap like the weather (twice, he also said the clouds parted and the sun came out and shined on him during his inaguaration)
So why wouldn’t we believe all these stories in the press and disbelieve his excuses and denials ?

This_person

That’s exactly it. He lies about everything even trivial crap like the weather (twice, he also said the clouds parted and the sun came out and shined on him during his inaguaration)
So why wouldn’t we believe all these stories in the press and disbelieve his excuses and denials ?
Mostly because the press has lied at least as much as he has.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
I would be interested in knowing who exactly was at risk of being fired by Ross and exactly what the reasons were/are. None of the stories I've read so far answer either question satisfactorily.

I ask because my sense is that it was/is the "serve at the pleasure" political appointees whose jobs were at risk. And those folks can be fired for whatever reason, even the slightest/flimsiest of reasons. As such, the possibility does exist (having seen it in numerous administrations, both Republican and Democrat) that political appointees put pressure on the rank and file by passing Ross' threat downhill in order to keep their jobs.

However, there also exists the very real possibility that we have an act of the #Resistance (as it were) where someone felt the need to correct the President of the United States (and yes, duly elected POTUS) without going through the proper coordination procedures. In which case, it ain't only the political appointee who perhaps needs to be fired....

If asked which way I lean, probably more toward the latter.... But I'm not beholden to it....

--- End of line (MCP)

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
However, there also exists the very real possibility that we have an act of the #Resistance (as it were) where someone felt the need to correct the President of the United States (and yes, duly elected POTUS) without going through the proper coordination procedures.

This would be my guess .......