Commonly prescribed drugs are tied to nearly 50% higher dementia risk in older adults

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
(CNN)Scientists have long found a possible link between anticholinergic drugs and an increased risk of dementia.
A study published in the journal JAMA Internal Medicine on Monday suggests that the link is strongest for certain classes of anticholinergic drugs -- particularly antidepressants, bladder antimuscarinics, antipsychotics and antiepileptic drugs.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
Thanks for posting. Very interesting, even if I really didn't like the article. Why?

It seemed more interested in clickbait than in presenting a more responsible take on the study. As in, it shouldn't take me 3/4 of the way through before I get to one of the things I was looking for: a statement on causation (if any).

I also didn't see anything that addressed possible confounds. Or any statement about the risk of using the drugs outweighing the risks of not using (or the converse). Or, perhaps most importantly, if maybe the conditions that cause the prescribing of these drugs may be the root cause of a higher predisposition to dementia rather than the meds themselves (which is my (null) hypothesis).

Could be wrong (as I did a quick read, then a second pass).

Anyway, I can imagine (older) folks reading this and immediately stopping the drugs they (or those they're looking after) are currently prescribed or storming into their PCPs' offices complaining. Or the inevitable ambulance chasers and their ads.

Again, even with the article's "missteps" there was still quite a bit of good info.

So again, thanks!

--- End of line (MCP)