Comparing Johnstown to Katrina

T

tikipirate

OK, the looting is covered.

But where's the indiscriminate killing and the gang rapes?

What's the difference between the people of Pennsylvania in 1889 and those of Louisiana in 2005?

Oh... yeah...

(Not what you thought I was going to say!)

The people of Pennsylvania were pretty much self-reliant and took their safety into their own hands, apparently forming an armed militia to quash any BS. (And before 2A chimes in, they didn't have Glocks, Trijicon sights or Safariland holsters. They had guns, gunpowder, and guts.)

We must ask ourselves... What would Hank Hill, assistant manager of Strickland Propane and block captain do?

Danzig

2,209 people died.

99 entire families died, including 396 children

124 women and 198 men were left widowed.

More than 750 victims were never identified and rest in the Plot of the Unknown in Grandview Cemetery

Bodies were found as far away as Cincinnati, and as late as 1911. (22 years later)

Not much of a comparison, <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Johnstown</st1:place></st1:City> was way worse.

Been to the Flood Museum a few times, If you ever get a chance to go. Do it, It is amazing. http://www.jaha.org/FloodMuseum/history.html

Danzig

A few more facts about the Johnstown Flood

• 1,600 homes were destroyed

• $17 million in property damage was done

• Four square miles of downtown Johnstown were completely destroyed

• The pile of debris at the stone bridge covered 30 acres

• The distance between the dam that failed and Johnstown was 14 miles.

• The dam was owned by the South Fork Fishing and Hunting Club, an exclusive club that counted Andrew Carnegie and Henry Clay Frick among its members.

• The dam contained 20 million tons of water before it gave way, about the same amount of water as goes over Niagara Falls in 36 minutes.

• Flood lines were found as high as 89 feet above river level

• The great wave measured 35-40 feet high and hit Johnstown at 40 miles per hour

• The force of the flood swept several locomotives weighing 170,000 pounds as far as 4,800 feet

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Wasn't there a more recent flood at Johnstown - within the last 40 years? I remember driving through there as a child and the smell of the town was horrendous. Or was that a similar named town?

AMP

Jersey attitude.
bresamil said:
Wasn't there a more recent flood at Johnstown - within the last 40 years? I remember driving through there as a child and the smell of the town was horrendous. Or was that a similar named town?

No that was Johnstown - again. My aunt went down from Pgh and helped pull dead bodies out of the mud. Makes you wonder if they will rebuild New Orleans any better second time around.