Completion of the school year

SamSpade

Does anyone have an kind of idea what they will do ? Six weeks is a lot to try and "make up" and this aversion to find alternatives to shutting everything down or at least, set a target date is lunacy.

I feel the worst for kids who were going to GRADUATE. Their graduation from college or high school is now unclear.

Are they likely to just say, screw it, grade is finished, see you in September? Have longer school hours? What is being considered?

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Does anyone have an kind of idea what they will do ? Six weeks is a lot to try and "make up" and this aversion to find alternatives to shutting everything down or at least, set a target date is lunacy.

I feel the worst for kids who were going to GRADUATE. Their graduation from college or high school is now unclear.

Are they likely to just say, screw it, grade is finished, see you in September? Have longer school hours? What is being considered?
I believe since VA schools shut down for the year, they decided that if students were passing before this started, they pass. Not sure what they'll do for the ones who weren't passing. Honestly, I think MD should do the same. This six week extension with the possibility of not opening back up at all is crazy. Or open https://www.k12.com/ to Maryland students and let them learn that way. I don't see how this online schooling will work otherwise unless it's already a structured thing (which obviously it's not going to be. It's a figure it out quick thing).

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Teachers start back with telework on Monday. They will be getting a crash course in online teaching and working on the logistics of getting materials to non connected families. My wife and her team have been working on formulating a viable plan to provide materials since the first announcement went out 2 weeks ago. It sounds all well and good BUT there are teachers that have crappy to non existent internet access and more than a few that are NOT tech savvy at all.

I have no idea about graduation and I have a senior this year that has been distance learning since day 3 of the school closure. It weighs heavy on him and us that the Chinese have stolen his and everyone else's senior year.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It's a mystery. The April 25 date is just a target - that may or may not happen. Trump is hoping we'll be back in business by Easter, and that probably won't happen either.

What made me laugh is that if you need child care because you have to, you know, work, there's a hotline you can call and the government will supposedly help you. I'm not sure how that will work. Do they have a battalion of people who will come to your home and watch your kid? I'm thinking more likely they will have government operated daycares with pack of kids in attendance. Just like if they'd have gone to school.

This whole thing is nonsensical.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It sounds all well and good BUT there are teachers that have crappy to non existent internet access and more than a few that are NOT tech savvy at all.

Not to mention the kids who don't have the tools to do online learning.

SamSpade

I'm thinking more likely they will have government operated daycares with pack of kids in attendance. Just like if they'd have gone to school.

As little faith in government that I have, I can't believe they'd ever do anything so colossally stupid as to re-create the environment they are shutting down. We who have had small kids already know that schools are the most virulent breeding ground for germs.

More likely they will debate for a few months and give you a few more bucks to stay home, which - if you're home - makes even less sense.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
I believe since VA schools shut down for the year, they decided that if students were passing before this started, they pass. Not sure what they'll do for the ones who weren't passing. Honestly, I think MD should do the same. This six week extension with the possibility of not opening back up at all is crazy. Or open https://www.k12.com/ to Maryland students and let them learn that way. I don't see how this online schooling will work otherwise unless it's already a structured thing (which obviously it's not going to be. It's a figure it out quick thing).
I talked with the wife about the pass/fail deal and I think the guidance is going to be all pass no fail. This really is a bad idea because if you have a kid in your class that has been a zero getting dunce since day 1, that kid is not going have a 180 degree turn and start passing to the point that their grades would warrant a passing grade in the 55-57 days that are left in the year.

SamSpade

Not to mention the kids who don't have the tools to do online learning.

My biggest fight will be getting my kids to DO it. They've had weeks of staying inside in their jammies playing games. NOW they have to do schoolwork at home? It will be MY full time job to keep them there.

GregV814

Lets be honest....with PC overtaking every aspect of our lives, (no school valedictorian, no chile left behind, bribery on school admissions) is there even a need for graduations?? Look at any newspaper during the end of grading periods for the "Honor Roll"....it would be simpler to list who is NOT on the HR!

Who cares who graduates? Colleges will accept anybody who is financially feasible, either for scholarships with that soild 2.0, or a minority, or have a third cousin who lost a leg in a hiking fall in Siberia.

If little Drake cant catch a ride to the junior high to get his lunch or laptop are schools going to fail him???

Okay, off the soapbox.

SamSpade

I talked with the wife about the pass/fail deal and I think the guidance is going to be all pass no fail. This really is a bad idea because if you have a kid in your class that has been a zero getting dunce since day 1, that kid is not going have a 180 degree turn and start passing to the point that their grades would warrant a passing grade in the 55-57 days that are left in the year.

Agreed but I haven't seen a kid flunk a grade in years. WE have been advised with two of our kids to hold them back - and we did - but for different reasons. And it was back in either pre-k or kindergarten (and one of them, because she still hadn't mastered English yet).

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
My biggest fight will be getting my kids to DO it. They've had weeks of staying inside in their jammies playing games. NOW they have to do schoolwork at home? It will be MY full time job to keep them there.

But at least you will make an attempt. Many parents won't.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Since when is that a problem? Monello and I meet all kinds of people who have been in this country for decades and don't speak a lick of English.

I work with one. While she speaks English, nobody can really understand her. If somebody can speak Spanish, she demands they only speak to her in Spanish. She has been in America since she was a teen and she is about 40 years old now.

SamSpade

Since when is that a problem? Monello and I meet all kinds of people who have been in this country for decades and don't speak a lick of English.

Me too. And it ain't always Spanish. But like the Italians I met in Boston and the Portuguese and Greeks and Southeast Asians in the outer 'burbs, they had communities where they could live their lives with their families. Mine spoke Mandarin, and that would always isolate her. In Southern Cali, they might bring in a Spanish-speaking teacher to teach all the Spanish speaking kids in their own language - an idea I think is profoundly idiotic - they're never going to bring a Chinese speaking teacher to St Mary's for a pre-schooler.

SamSpade

I work with one. While she speaks English, nobody can really understand her. If somebody can speak Spanish, she demands they only speak to her in Spanish. She has been in America since she was a teen and she is about 40 years old now.

You want to know something funny? We have a guy like that at my workplace - he's Vietnamese. He does speak English, but it is so very heavily accented and broken, you can just watch people in meetings either nod or avoid his comments and questions. And he's about 50 and has been here at least since I met him in 1990.

But we have other Vietnamese whose English is so perfect, they do telephone assistance. You would never ever know they've been here for just a few short years. No accent, better diction than I do.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
You want to know something funny? We have a guy like that at my workplace - he's Vietnamese. He does speak English, but it is so very heavily accented and broken, you can just watch people in meetings either nod or avoid his comments and questions. And he's about 50 and has been here at least since I met him in 1990.

But we have other Vietnamese whose English is so perfect, they do telephone assistance. You would never ever know they've been here for just a few short years. No accent, better diction than I do.
They hired her "just in case we had a person come to our window that needed a Spanish speaking person". In the three years I have worked in this section, that has only happened once (prior to her being hired) and we call Dispatch to have a Spanish speaking Officer come by. This lady was a custodian and our Captain felt sorry for her because she got divorced and couldn't support her kids on her salary so she hired her to work in Property and Evidence Section. She has been her over a year and still can't do things that were taught Week 1.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
How can the last day of school be 24APR if it doesn't usually let out until mid-June? What am I missing...

luvmygdaughters

What about school during the summer months? I've heard that by July, those powers that be, think they will have a handle on it. If thats so, send the kids back to school during July and August.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
It weighs heavy on him and us that the Chinese have stolen his and everyone else's senior year.

Communist China is responsible for more than a lost school and will NEVER be called to account ... except for lost business