Concerts and ear protection

KingFish

Nothing to see here
I have never used ear protection at the numerous rock concerts I have been to. A buddy who started wearing them says he enjoys the show because it blocks out some of the noise and he can better hear the vocals. I decided to buy a pair of Eargasm Hi-Fi Earplugs to see if I notice any difference. Was hoping to try them out in two weeks at the Iron Maiden Concert but I have to travel for work on that day so my daughter will use my ticket and hopefully enjoy the show.

Any of you use hearing protection while at concerts?

HemiHauler

I use Earos ear plugs. I was in a band way back in the day and learned early on to protect one's hearing. It was always a show of bravado not to wear them back then - my old bass player has a terrible case of tinnitus. He's in his mid 60s. I've used ear plugs of some sort my entire concert-going life. I'll be at that Maiden show and Sabaton later this week with them. Wouldn't go without.

Clem72

I have never used ear protection at the numerous rock concerts I have been to. A buddy who started wearing them says he enjoys the show because it blocks out some of the noise and he can better hear the vocals. I decided to buy a pair of Eargasm Hi-Fi Earplugs to see if I notice any difference. Was hoping to try them out in two weeks at the Iron Maiden Concert but I have to travel for work on that day so my daughter will use my ticket and hopefully enjoy the show.

Any of you use hearing protection while at concerts?
Bruce has got to be damn near 70. You sure you want to hear the vocals?

HemiHauler

Rob Halford is 70 and I still go to the priest concerts. They are up in age and one never know when they will expire. Maiden had a good concert last year.
To be fair, I saw JP at MGM/National Harbor last March and Rob is struggling. It appeared he had to bend way over to sustain the high notes. It was a great set, not a hater, but it might be time for JP (or at least Rob) to hang it up.

KingFish

Nothing to see here
To be fair, I saw JP at MGM/National Harbor last March and Rob is struggling. It appeared he had to bend way over to sustain the high notes. It was a great set, not a hater, but it might be time for JP (or at least Rob) to hang it up.
He is no spring chicken. Cannot imagine him singing screaming for vengeance. Queensryche opened strong! First time seeing them.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I only go to old people concerts because I dislike crowds and unruly young people.

And get off my lawn!

Old Lady Dancing GIF by truTV’s At Home with Amy Sedaris

HemiHauler

He is no spring chicken. Cannot imagine him singing screaming for vengeance. Queensryche opened strong! First time seeing them.

I first saw Queenryche open for KISS on the Animalize tour back in the mid-80s in Baltimore (RIP Mark St. John). Obviously Tate was the frontman then, but I knew back then they were special. What a legacy they've gone on to build!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I first saw Queenryche open for KISS on the Animalize tour back in the mid-80s in Baltimore (RIP Mark St. John). Obviously Tate was the frontman then, but I knew back then they were special. What a legacy they've gone on to build!

I can't even picture you at a concert like that. You come across as more of a Sam Smith kind of guy. Maybe Michael Bolton.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
I use Earos ear plugs. I was in a band way back in the day and learned early on to protect one's hearing. It was always a show of bravado not to wear them back then - my old bass player has a terrible case of tinnitus. He's in his mid 60s. I've used ear plugs of some sort my entire concert-going life. I'll be at that Maiden show and Sabaton later this week with them. Wouldn't go without.

That is going to be a great show. Maiden is alright but Sabaton is excellent, especially if you like history.

I have moderate hearing loss in both ears, mainly due to deformity, but a concert I went to in my late teens left my ears ringing for a week. We were way too close to the stage.

This is a good thread. I never thought to wear ear plugs at a concert.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
We had tickets to Beth Hart and Christopher Cross, sadly, both got cancelled due to covid.

I've dragged Monello to several concerts in the last couple of years but I have a low tolerance for crowds and annoying concert-goers who don't know how to drive or park or drink like an adult. Here in PCB they have numerous major concerts with excellent bands, and I might have braved the crowd for Kid Rock and Ted Nugent during Bike Week but the ticket prices were ridiculous.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I've dragged Monello to several concerts in the last couple of years but I have a low tolerance for crowds and annoying concert-goers who don't know how to drive or park or drink like an adult. Here in PCB they have numerous major concerts with excellent bands, and I might have braved the crowd for Kid Rock and Ted Nugent during Bike Week but the ticket prices were ridiculous.
B-52's? That was fun! :lol:

HemiHauler

That is going to be a great show. Maiden is alright but Sabaton is excellent, especially if you like history.

I have moderate hearing loss in both ears, mainly due to deformity, but a concert I went to in my late teens left my ears ringing for a week. We were way too close to the stage.

This is a good thread. I never thought to wear ear plugs at a concert.

Yea, Sabaton are awesome. I've seen them probably a dozen times over the last 10 years or so. If you like Sabaton, you might like Civil War. They were formed back in 2012 or so when almost the whole band quit Sabaton and formed Civil War, who write songs in a similar style. They aren't terribly prolific output-wise and I'm not sure if they have ever toured the US or not, but great music.