Confessions Of An A-6 Jockey

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
I'm not even Navy and this is still in my all-time Top 10 faves! I LOVE this plane. Not sexy, but a reliable workhorse. Like the A-10 (another Top 10 fave).

It may not be as well known as its maker's point-nosed, swing-wing counterpart, the F-14 Tomcat, but Grumman's A-6 Intruder was also a movie star and served as the backbone of the carrier air wing's all weather, deep strike capability for decades. The all-business A-6 was capable of doling out a very heavy punch far from its home at sea and it was most at home down low, deep in the weeds, barrelling [sic] through enemy territory under the darkness of night.

The TA-4 looked nimble, the Tomcat was movie-pretty, the Intruder looked like what it was—a war club.

Enjoy the clickover (link): "Confessions Of An A-6 Intruder Pilot"

--- End of line (MCP)

Yooper

The most impressive planes seemed to always be ugly ducklings A6's, A10's, S3's, OV10's
Yes, yes, yes! You named two more from my Top 10 (especially the OV-10 when armed; S-3 is in at 10/11).

I also like the A-1 Skyraider.

End of line (MCP)

WingsOfGold

The most impressive planes seemed to always be ugly ducklings A6's, A10's, S3's, OV10's
Well yeah but so many ugly ducklings to choose from. The E2 and 130 gets my vote for double barrel ugly but paid off with over 1/2 century of workhorse STILL working. I cut my teeth working on the A version of Hummers in 1970 and here half a century later the basic airframe is STILL being used. The T-56 has grown more prop blades and 1,200 more HP but it's still the basic 501-D13 that powered the Herc, Hummer and CV 580 to name a few. The red fluid was 5606A then B then C then MIL H-28283 and whatever it may be now. (anything BUT Skydrol)!! The C-2 is still well.... the C2, minor system and PP changes no doubt
The Navy got it's moneys worth from Grubbie Iron Works more so than any others IMO.

Yooper

The Navy got it's moneys worth from Grubbie Iron Works more so than any others IMO.
Long ago in a galaxy far, far away (before most of Long Island turned into a sewer bedroom community for NYC when there were still fishermen and potato farms still abounded) I lived not too far (farm measurements) from both Republic in Farmingdale (A-10 builders) and Grumman in Bethpage. Back then you could see the first Tomcats coming out of the hangers/off the assembly line. Somewhere in the mess is all our old HHG boxes I have one of the original "Anytime, Baby!" F-14 stickers/decals.

The F-14 is not one of my Top 10 all-time faves, but up there b/c...nostalgia.

Yup, 50 years ago this teenager certainly thought the Navy got its money's worth from Grumman!

--- End of line (MCP)

WingsOfGold

Long ago in a galaxy far, far away (before most of Long Island turned into a sewer bedroom community for NYC when there were still fishermen and potato farms still abounded) I lived not too far (farm measurements) from both Republic in Farmingdale (A-10 builders) and Grumman in Bethpage. Back then you could see the first Tomcats coming out of the hangers/off the assembly line. Somewhere in the mess is all our old HHG boxes I have one of the original "Anytime, Baby!" F-14 stickers/decals.

The F-14 is not one of my Top 10 all-time faves, but up there b/c...nostalgia.

Yup, 50 years ago this teenager certainly thought the Navy got its money's worth from Grumman!

--- End of line (MCP)
The Tomcat was sexy and once it shed it's shlt TF30 engines it really performed BUT we barely got 20 years out of it whereas the old F-4 paid more back for the investment. Hard to believe it evolved from a total pos DOG aka the F-3 Demon.

Yooper

The Tomcat was sexy and once it shed it's shlt TF30 engines it really performed BUT we barely got 20 years out of it whereas the old F-4 paid more back for the investment. Hard to believe it evolved from a total pos DOG aka the F-3 Demon.
Speaking of the F-4 and that most wonderful of airframes, the Demon....

In case you haven't yet, you might enjoy (link): "Topgun: An American Story". Great story by the NavAv who founded the school. And I'm not even a Navy guy (or aviator). (Truth be told, my dad was USAF and spent his entire career in aviation maintenance. So I grew up around aircraft....)

--- End of line (MCP)

WingsOfGold

Speaking of the F-4 and that most wonderful of airframes, the Demon....

In case you haven't yet, you might enjoy (link): "Topgun: An American Story". Great story by the NavAv who founded the school. And I'm not even a Navy guy (or aviator). (Truth be told, my dad was USAF and spent his entire career in aviation maintenance. So I grew up around aircraft....)

--- End of line (MCP)
I just checked, can be had on ebay for a buck 49 in ebook fashion. Once I can steal it for a couple bucks I'll buy it.

glhs837

Power with Control
Yes, yes, yes! You named two more from my Top 10 (especially the OV-10 when armed; S-3 is in at 10/11).

End of line (MCP)

No love from this ordie for the friken War Hoover. Weapon system a PITA to work on..

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

Huge Spad fan here too. That and the OV-10 Bronco...and of course the A-10. I've always has a soft spot for ground attack/ground support aircraft. In my previous life as a rocket motor engineer, I worked on ordnance that all of those carried at some point.

MiddleGround

In it's day... Wasn't the A-6 the only plane in the military that could carry more than it's own weight in ordanance?