Congress and baseball

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I'm ALL for this...

...particular witch hunt. Mostly because there are plenty of witches to hunt.

1. Baseball is the ONLY major pro sport that has a 'play monopoly' card stamped and approved by Congress.

2. Major pro sports are defacto of public interest.

3. Because of 1 and especially because of 2 Congress must play a role in overseeing baseball.

4. Baseball has no qualms about extorting cities and states for stadiums.

5. Baseball has so ignored steriods AND are doing such a farcical job about cleaning the game up, they've BEGGED for Congress to step in.

6. Steriods are a public health issue.

Roll 'em all together and there's some witches brew.

Pete

Repete
Larry Gude said:
...particular witch hunt. Mostly because there are plenty of witches to hunt.

1. Baseball is the ONLY major pro sport that has a 'play monopoly' card stamped and approved by Congress.

2. Major pro sports are defacto of public interest.

3. Because of 1 and especially because of 2 Congress must play a role in overseeing baseball.

4. Baseball has no qualms about extorting cities and states for stadiums.

5. Baseball has so ignored steriods AND are doing such a farcical job about cleaning the game up, they've BEGGED for Congress to step in.

6. Steriods are a public health issue.

Roll 'em all together and there's some witches brew.
Dear Sir,

Could you explain to me baseballs anti-trust exemption?

TIA

Agee

The fact that Congress has asserted itself into the policies of baseball, shows the ineptitude of baseballs commisioner, its union chief, and owners.

Does congress belong here, probably not, any other policing suggestions?

I say have baseball, and any other pro sport, adopt the drug policies of amatuer athletics, you use, your out.

SmallTown

Football season!
We knew how messed up this whole situation was when a few years ago they had the players union decide if they would do manadatory drug testing (narcotics and steroids). Now what is wrong with that picture? Letting the people who break the rules actually make the rules. :durhard:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Bad...

...I don't know enough about the details to speak intelligently on the
subject.

It's just intutive to me that baseball takes advantage wherever it can with the protected status it has. There are tax code preferences, issues as to power and control over the minor leagues, etc that the other leagues don't enjoy.

I haven't heard them offer to give it up.