Construction

jrt_ms1995

I have the same issue. I always wanted to have my own house because I lived in an apartment all my life. When I was making the plan, I made sure that there is enough space for everything I want. When laborers started to build it, I realized that t is too big. I was thinking that maybe making it smaller would be better, but it was already too late. We even needed a scaffold tower for painting the walls outside the house. Luckily I found petesuen.com, which deals with renting scaffold towers, and I didn't need to buy one.
I had a similar situation, but reversed, when I realized the moat I had designed to encircle my new home was too deep, and the workers could not get out. I contacted Pete as well, and they came and started assembling the scaffolding from the surface down into the depths of the moat, and, eventually, all the moat diggers were able to climb out. However, it was expensive (since the moat was quite deep), and I had to find another job. Luckily, I saw an ad online for a position, working from home, which now allows me to net $16,000 per month! Yes, that's right; $500,000 per year! If you need help paying for your scaffolding too, maybe you can work with me? Just contact spammeanotherone.complease.com and complete the easy 1-minute application!

Blister

When I had my patio poured at the house the crew was 100% non-English speaking Mexicans. They knocked that bad boy out in two days at a reasonable price, probably getting paid $100 each or some pittance. Did a great job.

If the crew had been Americans I doubt the work would have been as good, and I know the price would have been much higher.

Sam, the work crew should have a supervisor who can communicate with both you and the them. Hit him up and explain the problem.
The reason it would be higher is because they are criminals. They are illegally working without paying taxes, obviously. No workers comp., unemployment or liability insurance. You could be ruined financially when one amigo gets hurt on your property. Hire illegals at your own risk.https://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/homeowners-hiring-unlicensed-contractors.html

DaSDGuy

The reason it would be higher is because they are criminals. They are illegally working without paying taxes, obviously. No workers comp., unemployment or liability insurance. You could be ruined financially when one amigo gets hurt on your property. Hire illegals at your own risk.https://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/homeowners-hiring-unlicensed-contractors.html
The company that replaced my roof sent a crew with only one capable of speaking English. Started at 0800, finished by 1800. That included clearing the roof of old shingles and tar paper, replacing 12 sheets of plywood and the attic fan, and cleanup at the end (even used the magnetic roller to get the loose nails). Insurance was the problem of the company I hired, not mine.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I had some hardscape work done, only the group lead could speak English with any recognizability. But the contractor is well known, well respected, does work all over the place, so I would expect/hope he's got everyone documented properly.

Blister

The company that replaced my roof sent a crew with only one capable of speaking English. Started at 0800, finished by 1800. That included clearing the roof of old shingles and tar paper, replacing 12 sheets of plywood and the attic fan, and cleanup at the end (even used the magnetic roller to get the loose nails). Insurance was the problem of the company I hired, not mine.
"IF" the company you hired had insurance, then yes. "IF" they didn't you are on the hook.

DaSDGuy

"IF" the company you hired had insurance, then yes. "IF" they didn't you are on the hook.
YES, they did. It was in the contract, including the insurance co name and policy #. So no, I was NOT on the hook. Nobody who does their homework would be either.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

I did not hire the illegals - the guy who owns the patio company hired them. His problem.

But what you said is true and a good reminder for people who're trying to do things on the cheap. Had something happened to one of the Juans that contractor woulda had some splainin to do.