Consumer Cellular

willie

Consumer Reports says Consumer Cellular is super good but AT&T is not good. CC uses AT&T hardware so that sounds odd. How is AT&T's signal here in our area?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Anyplace....especially Lusby. I want to get far away from Verizon, contracts, big money, ignorant service but I'm concerned about paying less and getting zero.
AT&T yet again the worst-rated carrier in U.S. | Mobile - CNET News

I agee with you..

But finding a company that offers services comparable to Verizon (4G) locally is impossible.

Staight Talk would be a GREAT deal for me.. BUT it also uses AT&T and little 3G service here, and NO 4G service South of the Base.

Straight Talk $45 per phone unlimited Voice Text and Data.

Verizon, >$90 for the plan THEN 40 a month per phone or device, with very limited or expensive data

No set monthly fee, or unlimited plans use Verizon that I can find.

C

czygvtwkr

I agee with you..

But finding a company that offers services comparable to Verizon (4G) locally is impossible.

Staight Talk would be a GREAT deal for me.. BUT it also uses AT&T and little 3G service here, and NO 4G service South of the Base.

Verizon, >$90 for the plan THEN 40 a month per phone or device, with very limited or expensive data

There are certian straight talk phones that use verizons network, that said I have no issue with AT&T. In my building on base I have reception and the Verizon customers don't.

maxima87

Football Mom!!!
I agee with you..

The ST smart phones have the red map on them. They cost more than the AT&T and Sprint ones.

The ST non smart phones with a C behind the model number are Verizon.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
The ST smart phones have the red map on them. They cost more than the AT&T and Sprint ones.

The ST non smart phones with a C behind the model number are Verizon.

SO the next question would be..

And I've sent them one question: Can I buy a Verizon compatible SIM for the Smart Phone I already own??

OR another question would be, could I buy one of their Verizon Netork phones and pop the SIM out of it, and put it my phone? I don't believe there is a connection between SIM card and phone/ Phone Number until you activate your phone.

AND just noticed their only Verizon phones are are only 3G, no 4G phones.

Last edited:

MMM_donuts

There are certian straight talk phones that use verizons network, that said I have no issue with AT&T. In my building on base I have reception and the Verizon customers don't.

Ugh, I'm the total opposite. In my building on base only the Verizon customers have a good signal. I rarely get a good AT&T signal anywhere - even at my own house in Wildewood.

stockgirl

Stocki

Straight Talk phones use Verizon's prepay network that is not the same as their plan network. I found this out the hard way. Same goes for Verizon's prepay phones. They use a different network as well. I bought Set Your Location and cannot use it. Now it's just sitting in my dresser drawer. I even tried to sell the damn thing and couldn't sell it anywhere.

lamx

"Can I buy a Verizon compatible SIM for the Smart Phone I already own??"

If your current phone is AT&T, it uses GSM technology and a SIM card. Verizon phones use CDMA technology and do not use SIM cards (except their global phones which also contain a GSM section for overseas use).

Phones obtained from a specific carrier are "locked" to that carrier's network and do not transfer to other carriers' networks unless they are "unlocked". I have never looked into ST phones to learn whether they are locked to a specific network.

T-Mobile has phones with a feature called "wi-fi calling" that uses any available wi-fi network for incoming and outgoing calls. I live in an area with no T-Mobile signal but use my T-Mobile phone over my home wi-fi. T-Mobile doesn't have the best coverage in this area but wi-fi calling extends their coverage considerably. That might be an option.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
"Can I buy a Verizon compatible SIM for the Smart Phone I already own??"

If your current phone is AT&T, it uses GSM technology and a SIM card. Verizon phones use CDMA technology and do not use SIM cards (except their global phones which also contain a GSM section for overseas use).
The last 6 or 7 Verizon phones I've bought all had SIM cards..

Thunderbolt..

Galaxy..

and whatever phones the kids have now.

merc669

The last 6 or 7 Verizon phones I've bought all had SIM cards..

Thunderbolt..

Galaxy..

and whatever phones the kids have now.

Those were Memory Sticks. I have the Thunderbolt. And the the Thunderbolt also has a 4G Sim Card. It is strictly a CDMA Phone using LTE 700 Mhz Class 13 for the 4G portion. My Thunderbolt is a piece of junk. My wife has Net 10 and pays just under 49.00 for unlimited talk, text and data. Uses the ATT network and great service!! We live slightly south of the base off Rt5 and GM. Bayridge Area. As soon as I can, I will pay the ETF on my Thunderbolt and switch to Net 10 also and their family plan of 90 a month. Before my wife had an Android X and me the Thunderbolt. We were grandfathered with unlimited plan. We paid for 2 phones and a discount from company just under 200 a month. Now she pays 49 and I am still paying anywhere between 110 and 120 a month and I make maybe a dozen calls a month on a 750 a month plan. Cannot figure how Verizon figures their bills. But they are down-right dirty. And will be very glad to be rid of them!!

Bill...

stockgirl

Stocki
Those were Memory Sticks. I have the Thunderbolt. And the the Thunderbolt also has a 4G Sim Card. It is strictly a CDMA Phone using LTE 700 Mhz Class 13 for the 4G portion. My Thunderbolt is a piece of junk. My wife has Net 10 and pays just under 49.00 for unlimited talk, text and data. Uses the ATT network and great service!! We live slightly south of the base off Rt5 and GM. Bayridge Area. As soon as I can, I will pay the ETF on my Thunderbolt and switch to Net 10 also and their family plan of 90 a month. Before my wife had an Android X and me the Thunderbolt. We were grandfathered with unlimited plan. We paid for 2 phones and a discount from company just under 200 a month. Now she pays 49 and I am still paying anywhere between 110 and 120 a month and I make maybe a dozen calls a month on a 750 a month plan. Cannot figure how Verizon figures their bills. But they are down-right dirty. And will be very glad to be rid of them!!

Bill...

If you go a just a few miles south of where you live, you're screwed unless you have VzW.

merc669

If you go a just a few miles south of where you live, you're screwed unless you have VzW.

My wife works in St Marys City doing tours for school kids. Has never had an issue from there to home or when I am on base from there. So not sure how far south you need to go?

C

czygvtwkr

Straight Talk phones use Verizon's prepay network that is not the same as their plan network. I found this out the hard way. Same goes for Verizon's prepay phones. They use a different network as well. I bought Set Your Location and cannot use it. Now it's just sitting in my dresser drawer. I even tried to sell the damn thing and couldn't sell it anywhere.

Verizon doesn't have a seperate network for prepay, what I suspect they do is they rent the Sprint network because that is also CDMA.

C

czygvtwkr

Wouldn't that be the definition of "separate network for pre-pay"?

Everything I found says that my previous statement about them using Sprint is not true, it says that it is the same as Verizons normal network, except that it does not allow roaming and that is why people think that it isnt the same network. On verizons website it shows the prepay network exactly the same as their normal network, hard to imagine a normal verizon phone gets extra coverage from sprints network around here too though.

I had a VM phone for a while and while it wasn't too bad in the places I usually am at there were some holes, and it definately uses Sprint's network.

Also want to add that I have no problem with AT&T all the way south to St Marys and St Inigios, nor any problem at St James Pub or Charlies resturant.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Also want to add that I have no problem with AT&T all the way south to St Marys and St Inigios, nor any problem at St James Pub or Charlies resturant.

BUT do you get 4G??

I use cellular from my home wireless netork, and 3G just wouldn't cut it, not sure even AT&T 4G would.