Contracting to the Govt. of Singapore

Sparx

Can any of you defence experts explain to me why the government of Singapore was the 5th largest contractor doing business with the Dept. of Defence in the Disrict of Columbia in 2002?

RangerJohn

They have something going on over there. There is a sizable aircraft repair facility and they have won the contracts to repair quite a few components (such as the main landing gear) of the F/A-18.

I suppose it is a large number of techs who were formerly employed by the NAVAIR Fleet Aircraft Repair Facility - Western Pacific, who decided to go into business for themselves. Just a guess though.

Sparx

Cheaper wages and no bennies.

I'm afraid that's right. Aren't there any people in THIS COUNTRY that can do the work they are doing? No wonder we are losing jobs here at a record rate. If our government stes this example why wouldn't corporations feel it's the thing to do? I don't like sending my tax dollars to Singapore.

B

Bruzilla

Sorry... you guys are all wrong. About 80% of the parts that you jam into any computer-related device (mo' boards, chips. memory, sound cards, hard drives, modems, etc.) are made in Singapore. When you drive through the city/state you see lots of factories with "Maxtor", "Intel", etc. on them. Just about anything electronic that you buy, and the USG buys a LOT, either comes from Singapore or has parts from Singapore.

By the way... Singapore has one of the best work environments and social welfare programs that you'll find anywhere. Immigrants (usually from China) and other new workers are given jobs by the state. They are given a stipend, a food allowance, and an apartment and utilities, plus their healthcare. The jobs usually suck, I saw dozens of people mopping the sidewalks at 2:00AM one morning, but the workers get a good deal and the city is spotless.

As the worker progresses at their job, they start drawing a salary, and a potion of that salary goes to offsetting their living expenses. Eventually, they are making enough money to pay for their own apartment, food, medical, etc., or more likely they've developed a good work record and they go to work for one of the dozens of high-tech operations out there.

There's just one catch - if you quit, that's it. You don't get a second bite at the apple. Much better than the "work till I can get unemployment again and then quit" mentality bred here in the US.

Sparx

"work till I can get unemployment again and then quit" mentality bred here in the US.

Your post makes sense until your last statement. Where can you quit and get unemployment? I've never lived anywhere that works. You must be layed off for lack of work or a plant closing etc. In other words, unemployed for no fault of your own, before you can draw unemployment anywhere I've been.

B

Bruzilla

It's very easy to lose work and get unemployment, and the people who abuse the system know full-well how to do it. When I was the Vic-President of a manufacturing company in Florida I saw it a lot, and I've seen it a lot up here in Maryland with my daughter's friends.

First, you have to work just enough to qualify for unemployment (six months, three months, etc.) Then you start becoming an issue at work. You don't screw up enough to get fired, but you become enough of a hinderance or under produce enough to where the company wants to get rid of you. Then you get yourself laid off and you're off and running.

Option two is to follow along the above path, and then generate some kind of hostile environment that justified you quitting the job through no fault of your won. Sexual harassment, intimidation, ethics differences, etc., all work. If you can paint yourself as the victim, you'll get the check.

Lastly, most employers prefer to "layoff" poor-working employees rather than fire them due to a fear of lawsuits. It's cheaper to pay the increased unemployment insurance than it is to defend the company in court.

Sparx

Give me a break, Everything you just mentioned is the employers fault. Lack of documentation, Lack of balls, etc. etc. etc. If an employer has someone they NEED to get rid of they should do it. Proper documentation and following labor law is all it takes to get rid of a deadwood employee.

Pete

Repete
Originally posted by Sparx
Give me a break, Everything you just mentioned is the employers fault. Lack of documentation, Lack of balls, etc. etc. etc. If an employer has someone they NEED to get rid of they should do it. Proper documentation and following labor law is all it takes to get rid of a deadwood employee.
Evidently you have not worked where there is a union. A great friend of mine worked for Kraft foods. He used to come home at night and primal scream off the balcony because he had so many losers who he could not fire no matter how much documentation he had.

Sparx

Evidently you have not worked where there is a union. A great friend of mine worked for Kraft foods. He used to come home at night and primal scream off the balcony because he had so many losers who he could not fire no matter how much documentation he had.

I have worked at a union job most of my adult life. I have seen it done right and done wrong. When the company has proper documentation and evidence I have seen people fired. When they don't, the union has saved many peoples jobs. In my experiences the union does what the law requires. Even in a right to work state the union MUST represent even those who don't carry their fair share by joining. If the union does not represent someone in a grievence situation they can be found guilty of lack of representation.