Copperheads

I read conflicting posts on copperheads. I live in Mechanicsville, MD, and believe we have copperheads but see stories they are mostly located in northern areas. Even after looking at photos of copperheads and thoroughly reading descriptions, I am still never sure about what is what. We have different kinds of snakes. Yesterday I was raking leaves and one pile of leaves I turned over had a snake that turned over at the same time. All I saw was the belly which was white and seemingly with a row of squares on it. So I have two questions, does this sound like a copperhead? And if I'm leaf-blowing damp leaves or weed whacking, will the noise scare them away before I come face to face with it?

DaSDGuy

I read conflicting posts on copperheads. I live in Mechanicsville, MD, and believe we have copperheads but see stories they are mostly located in northern areas. Even after looking at photos of copperheads and thoroughly reading descriptions, I am still never sure about what is what. We have different kinds of snakes. Yesterday I was raking leaves and one pile of leaves I turned over had a snake that turned over at the same time. All I saw was the belly which was white and seemingly with a row of squares on it. So I have two questions, does this sound like a copperhead? And if I'm leaf-blowing damp leaves or weed whacking, will the noise scare them away before I come face to face with it?
Yes, we have Copperheads in Southern Maryland

Common Snakes of Maryland Guide

phreddyp

Hog nosed snakes roll over and play dead , it's actually kinda cool and we have them for sure in Calvert .

So, how about the white belly with squares on it? And does noise scare them away or do they bite first and run later?

somdwatch

Typically, your walking (vibrations on the ground) is supposed to scare them away.

I was once told by the "Snake Guy" in Jacksonville, FL. that if you put mothballs around your property line about 3 feet apart it will keep snakes out. The reverse would be true if they are already in!!

The heart shaped head would let you know to not try to grab it.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Typically, your walking (vibrations on the ground) is supposed to scare them away.

I was once told by the "Snake Guy" in Jacksonville, FL. that if you put mothballs around your property line about 3 feet apart it will keep snakes out. The reverse would be true if they are already in!!

The heart shaped head would let you know to not try to grab it.
Round pupils for non venomous
Slit pupils for venomous snakes

It is illegal to kill snakes in Maryland so put the shovel, hoe, shotgun away.

Grumpy

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Have to disagree with the Maryland poster.

It's been my displeasure to encounter a stray Cottonmouth three times over the decades. One sunning itself on a piece of plywood in a construction site drainage pond.

Grumpy

Have to disagree with the Maryland poster.

It's been my displeasure to encounter a stray Cottonmouth three times over the decades. One sunning itself on a piece of plywood in a construction site drainage pond.
True, I have run across them in the past too.

stgislander

PREMO Member
I discovered that my niece the Park Ranger is the #1 rattlesnake wrangler up at Rocky Gap State Park. When they come down into the campground, she catches them and hauls them back up on the mountain for release.

TPD

the poor dad
I’ve seen 4 snakes on the farm this afternoon – two were copperheads, I think one was a snake head, and the other one looked like a water moccasin but I know those are not supposed to be in Maryland so not really sure what it was. It was big and gray and on the shore of the creek.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I’ve seen 4 snakes on the farm this afternoon – two were copperheads, I think one was a snake head, and the other one looked like a water moccasin but I know those are not supposed to be in Maryland so not really sure what it was. It was big and gray and on the shore of the creek.
:faint:

stgislander

PREMO Member
What is a "snake head" snake?

TPD

the poor dad
I would think TPD is smart enough to know a fish from a snake.

But then again.... :whistle:
We have snakeheads in our creek. I was cutting grass along the shoreline this afternoon when I spotted something about 12 inches long just takeoff from the grass into the water really quick like. I assumed it was a snake head but I really don’t know. It was moving fast!