Copy of old W-2?

buddscreekman

Anyone know how i can get free copies of my old W-2's? I need several years worth- I've called IRS,they kicked it over to Md. Comptroller. They sent me to SS. SS says they charge 57.00 per year fee for a copy. I have asked my employer and they are telling me they don't have any.

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
Anyone know how i can get free copies of my old W-2's? I need several years worth- I've called IRS,they kicked it over to Md. Comptroller. They sent me to SS. SS says they charge 57.00 per year fee for a copy. I have asked my employer and they are telling me they don't have any.

Really? WTF! If you're being audited, let someone else produce them.........

maxima87

Football Mom!!!
Will a transcript work? That usually has the same information on it. You can order those free from the IRS.

luvmygdaughters

Yes, they are required to keep copies for 7 years. If they dont have any thats a big no no! Also, do you do your own taxes? You should have copies attached to your past tax returns. If your company does payroll inhouse, they should have copies. If they outsource payroll, that company should have copies.

maxima87

Football Mom!!!
Yes, they are required to keep copies for 7 years. If they dont have any thats a big no no! Also, do you do your own taxes? You should have copies attached to your past tax returns. If your company does payroll inhouse, they should have copies. If they outsource payroll, that company should have copies.

If the W2 was undeliverable to you, they are required to keep it on file for a minimum of 4 years. If they have already provided you one copy, they aren't obligated to provide them again. Learned the hard way...

awpitt

Main Streeter

Since W-2s are issued by employers, you might want to go that route. I always thought records of tax returns and supporting documents (W-2s, etc.) were supposed to be kept for a certain number of years. Your W-2s should be in your records that you're supposed to be keeping.

lovinmaryland

The employer in this case is saying they don't keep copies of any W-2's.....aren't they legally required to?

Correct they have to keep copies on file. They can make you a copy. I just had to have this done 3 months ago. HR was able to email me a copy within hours of my request for it.

maxima87

Football Mom!!!
Correct they have to keep copies on file. They can make you a copy. I just had to have this done 3 months ago. HR was able to email me a copy within hours of my request for it.

Lucky! You got a nice HR person. When I requested an older one, I received a link to an IRS publication.

buddscreekman

Since W-2s are issued by employers, you might want to go that route. I always thought records of tax returns and supporting documents (W-2s, etc.) were supposed to be kept for a certain number of years. Your W-2s should be in your records that you're supposed to be keeping.

Damn...wait a minute. I never thought of that-they might be in my records that I was supposed to be keeping. BRB.

maxima87

Football Mom!!!
I checked out that link but it is for old tax returns. I need W-2's....with all the numbers in their boxes and so forth.

Oh darn. If you don't have the original with your records...I know Turbo Tax (who I use), gives you a print out of the boxes with corresponding numbers.

buddscreekman

Oh darn. If you don't have the original with your records...I know Turbo Tax (who I use), gives you a print out of the boxes with corresponding numbers.

I got them! But now comes another issue - I need to file my state return for 2008. For some reason it appears we never did. Didn't owe,and actually now have to forfeit the refund,but I can't find a way to an old one online,everything is for the current edition to efile. I've been working damn near all day and can't seem to grab a minute - or hour - to be on hold w/the comptrollers office.

maxima87

Football Mom!!!
I got them! But now comes another issue - I need to file my state return for 2008. For some reason it appears we never did. Didn't owe,and actually now have to forfeit the refund,but I can't find a way to an old one online,everything is for the current edition to efile. I've been working damn near all day and can't seem to grab a minute - or hour - to be on hold w/the comptrollers office.

Wow! I thought late filing penalties only applied if you had to pay, not if you were due a refund. Maybe that is just IRS though.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka

There is also a section for old tax forms and instructions on the IRS site (don't have the URL handy right now). They go back into the late 20th century or farther in some cases.