Corian Countertops and hardwood floors

S

Shutterbug

I need anyone's opinion on this matter.....

Pros and cons of corian countertops, and

Pros and cons of hardwood floors in the kitchen.

Thanks!

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
If I could have afforded them, I would have put Corian in my kitchen, but it's very expensive compared to other materials. It is very durable and available in a wide variety of styles. We went with a Formica that looks similar to the Corian we wanted, but it's already scratched in places. I will probably replace the counters in the next year.

I have Bruce hardwood floors in many rooms in my house and I absolutely LOVE them. :yay:

S

Shutterbug

jazz lady said:
If I could have afforded them, I would have put Corian in my kitchen, but it's very expensive compared to other materials. It is very durable and available in a wide variety of styles. We went with a Formica that looks similar to the Corian we wanted, but it's already scratched in places. I will probably replace the counters in the next year.

I have Bruce hardwood floors in many rooms in my house and I absolutely LOVE them. :yay:
One down side to Corian is that I keep hearing is that it scratches easily. I'm wondering if it that is true.

I have hardwood in several rooms, but not the kitchen. I'm just wondering how water resistent hard wood is in an area where water can be sprayed....

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
I just had hardwood installed throughout my house, including my kitchen, when I moved in to this house a few months ago. The kitchen previously had Pergo, but I didn't care for it, and in it's place went with pre-finished hardwood. I absolutely LOVE it. Having the hardwood in the kitchen doesn't pose any problems - cleaning is easy, the "feel" of the floor is comfortable, the the look is dynamite. Swiffers work great in keeping it tidy. I am also able to have a 5 x 7 rug in the kitchen, and it looks beautiful against the hardwood. If I had a problem with my choice, it would be that my dogs find it somewhat slippery to run on.

I priced out granite countertops, but it was beyond my budget, so I stuck with the formica that was here. I'd love to replace the countertops within the next year or so - probably with a manufactured granite-look product.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Shutterbug said:
One down side to Corian is that I keep hearing is that it scratches easily. I'm wondering if it that is true.
Believe me, it doesn't scratch as easily as the Formica. Plus with Corian, you can just sand out any scratches or burn marks if they're not too deep. :yay:

here's a good article comparing the different surfaces

I have hardwood in several rooms, but not the kitchen. I'm just wondering how water resistent hard wood is in an area where water can be sprayed....
I have hardwood flooring in my kitchen. I've spilled water on it plenty of times and it just wipes up. :shrug:

CMC122

Go Braves!
Corian is awesome! You'll love it. (not that I have it but:lol:)

Hardwood floors are awesome too! Just make sure you get a realy good finish on them and you're set.

The Jackoholic

thinning out the tards
in order for counter tops:

granite
corian
tile( which i installed myself)
laminate

floors:

hardwood( layed and then sealed with polyuranthane) nothing will get through that floor if it is sealed with atleast 4 applications of polly

janey83

Twenty Something
when I get a house, I'd love to have hardwood floors.......when we had our house built in '98, I kept making suggestions to my parents like the wood floors and esp. the "oval" front door......sadly, they went with mostly the standard options....which worked well anyway.

S

Shutterbug

The Jackoholic said:
floors:

hardwood( layed and then sealed with polyuranthane) nothing will get through that floor if it is sealed with atleast 4 applications of polly
I wonder how well it will hold up if it only has 2 layers of polyurithane? I think that's what the refinishing company said they put down. :ohwell:

Thanks everyone for the info and web sites! I really appreciate it.

S

starr

My parents are building a house. We have picked Corian in the bathrooms, granite in the kitchen and hardwood throught out the main level. I actually picked out both upstairs bathroom countertops. I can't wait to see them put in. We didn't put wood in the basement because of possible water issues.

BadGirl said:
The kitchen previously had Pergo, but I didn't care for it,
What didn't you like about the Pergo...:confused: My mom had Pergo put in the downstairs of her house. She chose Pergo because my dad was in a electric wheelchair and she needed something that would hold up to his rippin' and racing... it held up fine and still looks good to this day... based on that, I'm considering going with Pergo in my new addition... what didn't you like...:confused:

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
The general layout of my house wouldn't have worked well with Pergo and hardwood going in side-by-side to each other [the kitchen, dining area, and living room is essentially one huge room]. Also, the Pergo sort of had a hollow sound to it when you walked on it; the hardwood feels much more substantial. But I do understand the benefits of Pergo. It is impervious to almost every kind of damage, including water issues.