Corned Beef

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
My son invited me to dinner, he had made corned beef and cabbbage for the day.

Everyone said it was great. I tried it - again. Nope, just dont like it.

Auntie Biache'

I've had good corned beef, and I've had not so good corned beef. I'm of the opinion that "good" corned beef only works if fried with potatoes, and cabbage only works if fried with bacon.

Good corned beef needs to be soaked in milk for 24 hours to remove some of the salt.

luvmygdaughters

Made it in the slow cooker with carrots, redskin potatoes, onions and cabbage. It was delicious and the leftover corned beef will be used for sandwiches!!

SamSpade

Yup. Have it every year for St Paddy's. Cook all the leftover corned beef, refrigerate until cold and get out the slicer to get slices for Reubens.

LOVE corned beef. Granted, this year the cabbage was slow cooked so that it came out like cooked onions - my wife can prepare cabbage with
bacon while it is still just a little crisp. Lots of great ways to cook cabbage.

Most years I stock up on corned beef around St Paddy's, when it is the cheapest.

luvmygdaughters

Yup. Have it every year for St Paddy's. Cook all the leftover corned beef, refrigerate until cold and get out the slicer to get slices for Reubens.

LOVE corned beef. Granted, this year the cabbage was slow cooked so that it came out like cooked onions - my wife can prepare cabbage with
bacon while it is still just a little crisp. Lots of great ways to cook cabbage.

Most years I stock up on corned beef around St Paddy's, when it is the cheapest.
Hmmm...never thought about freezing it, we usually only eat on St. Paddy's day. Does it freeze well? How long can you freeze it?

SamSpade

Hmmm...never thought about freezing it, we usually only eat on St. Paddy's day. Does it freeze well? How long can you freeze it?

I never freeze it cooked. Freeze it while in the plastic, sure, we've had corned beef in the freezer for up to a year.
(I do the same with turkeys around Thanksgiving - they're cheaper then).
Giant was selling flat cuts for 1.88 a pound. Granted, it's salty and fatty, but a great price, and I don't see a difference
in quality if you're just cutting it for sandwiches.

But to get good slices, it has to be cold so it will slice cleanly with a slicer, or you'll have a mess.

luvmygdaughters

I never freeze it cooked. Freeze it while in the plastic, sure, we've had corned beef in the freezer for up to a year.
(I do the same with turkeys around Thanksgiving - they're cheaper then).
Giant was selling flat cuts for 1.88 a pound. Granted, it's salty and fatty, but a great price, and I don't see a difference
in quality if you're just cutting it for sandwiches.

But to get good slices, it has to be cold so it will slice cleanly with a slicer, or you'll have a mess.
Good Idea! Yep, would never freeze it after I cooked it. Thanks!