Cornstarch......

Lump

I am making Honey Garlic Chicken for dinner. You first dredge the Chicken in flour and then pan saute, not really fry.

I have never used cornstarch, but I understand it makes things crispy. Would it work for sauteing? if so would I dredge only in Cornstarch or just add Cornstarch to my flour?

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Vrai had a Korean fried chicken recipe that included cornstarch mixed with the flour. That bird turned out super crispy. I actually prefer that way than regular fried. Something about that crispy crunch when you take a bite.

Add some cornstarch to the flour. I wouldn't do 100% CS. I'm sure you'll be fine doing the pan saute. I know 1 way to find out.

Lump

Vrai had a Korean fried chicken recipe that included cornstarch mixed with the flour. That bird turned out super crispy. I actually prefer that way than regular fried. Something about that crispy crunch when you take a bite.

Add some cornstarch to the flour. I wouldn't do 100% CS. I'm sure you'll be fine doing the pan saute. I know 1 way to find out.
I'm going for it! Thanks

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I am making Honey Garlic Chicken for dinner. You first dredge the Chicken in flour and then pan saute, not really fry.

I have never used cornstarch, but I understand it makes things crispy. Would it work for sauteing? if so would I dredge only in Cornstarch or just add Cornstarch to my flour?

You can use flour, cornstarch, or a mixture of the two depending on the texture you're looking for. Cornstarch alone gets a thin crackly crispy crust; mix it with flour and it's like KFC extra crispy. You already know what flour does.

Lump

You can use flour, cornstarch, or a mixture of the two depending on the texture you're looking for. Cornstarch alone gets a thin crackly crispy crust; mix it with flour and it's like KFC extra crispy. You already know what flour does.
I will try mixing for this time. Thanks!

wittykitty

I agree about not doing 100% cornstarch, and using a mixture instead.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I figured that was my mistake, I smoked a whole chicken last week, the skin was beautiful, but kinda rubbery.
I've still only used my offset smoker a few times in the 4+ years I've had it. My Weber kettle was always my go to for so many years. I use the side charcoal baskets to cook indirectly. I just can't get the hang of low and slow. With the Weber, I get the coals blazing and add wood chunks, place wings down the center of the rack and cover, rearrange after 20 minutes, and take off after another 20-25 minutes. Thighs take a full hour and don't need to be rearranged or turned. The skin is so crispy that it crunches. 😋

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Yes, it helps to pull the moisture out of the skin. Plus, I'll throw them on a hot grill for no more than 2 minutes to finish crisping the skin. www.heygrillhey.com is my go to smoker recipes. The brine she makes for smoked chicken is very easy and does so much, I'll never not brine chicken again.
Thanks for the link. I really need to get serious about learning the proper operation of my smoker.