Cost of daycare

mitzi

I am curious as to what some of you pay or charge for daycare for a 2 year old - 5 days a week. Input is greatly appreciated.

sockgirl77

Mitzi, good luck finding a daycare that will only charge you for the 2 days. Most daycares will charge you for the full week as they have to use up that spot on your child.

Frogman, I'm not sure where you're taking your 2 year old but you're getting ripped off. The average cost of an infant at a private licensed in-home daycare is $200-225 per week and $250-260 for a licensed daycare center. It should be lower for a toddler. I've been pricing daycare for a few years now. I have a 6 year old, almost 4 year old, and a 2 year old. The charge for an in-home licensed provider for te summer is $369 per week. It is $328.50 during the school year. This is with a sibling discount. I called around recently to get rates to find out that I was getting a pretty good deal according to the area average. I'm pretty sure that the average for a 2 year old was $150-175 so you're paying about $100 too much per week unles they're getting extended care which is more than 10 hours per day.

sockgirl77

Mitzi, sorry I read your post wrong and my cell browser will not let me edit posts. You'll see the average cost in my reply to Frogman.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I pay $100 per week. Now that both my kids are in school, I only use her for the summer and days off/teacher workdays. I have an in-home provider.

Roberta

OLD WISE ONE
WOW. How can anyone afford to work???? No wonder people choose not to. Minumim wage jobs sure don't pay enough to afford those prices. Not even my job, which is much more then minumin wage.
Does the conversation with your children go like this?
I hope you ate your fill at day care because there is no food here.
Hurry up and go to bed before the sun goes down because its gets real dark in here after that.
I know you did wear those clothes yesterday, but they are the only ones that fit you, put them on now!
I coulld go on and on. WTF??

frogman123

Difference is whether you choose a "school" type environment vs an in home daycare. I personally (through experience with several) never do the in-home thing again.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Difference is whether you choose a "school" type environment vs an in home daycare. I personally (through experience with several) never do the in-home thing again.

So you're paying about $7 an hour for your one child's day care. Each "provider" (I think) in the facility can care for 6 toddlers, OR up to 10 children.

So each person could be making $42 - 70 an hour babysitting? That seems like a LOT of money for a babysitter.

DanceMom

Just a toss in here on the conversation. If you have a special or disabled child, regardless of abilities you can add $100 to $200 a week to those costs. It pays to stay home sometimes.

sockgirl77

I paid $900 per month for my son to go to Starmaker when he was 2. That was 4 years ago. Which "school" environment do you pay $270 per week to go to? That's still a lot for the amount of attention that a child gets there,
And Bob I'm pretty sure that an in-home provider can have up to 7 kids including their own. If they have a registered helper they can have more.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
And Bob I'm pretty sure that an in-home provider can have up to 7 kids including their own. If they have a registered helper they can have more.

I don't know the laws (and don't care enough to google them) but from what I understand every daycare provider is allowed 'x' amount of kids PER person they have on payroll providing care.

If you have one person they you can watch 7 kids (for example) 2 people 14 kids.. etc.. etc.. I do know the numbers vary and can be a mix of Infants, Toddlers, school age, and I thought there was one more age group like 3 - 5..

But basically $7 an hour is a lot of money for one child.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
I don't know the laws (and don't care enough to google them) but from what I understand every daycare provider is allowed 'x' amount of kids PER person they have on payroll providing care.

If you have one person they you can watch 7 kids (for example) 2 people 14 kids.. etc.. etc.. I do know the numbers vary and can be a mix of Infants, Toddlers, school age, and I thought there was one more age group like 3 - 5..

But basically $7 an hour is a lot of money for one child.
Bull chit.

I don't care how much I pay for daycare. That money is the best money that I've ever spent. :lol:

No, really.....when factoring in that daycare (our daycare, anyway), provides for breakfast, mid-morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, and occupies the kids' time with crafts, activities, and schooling for the entire day, AND pays salary for a small staff (to include minimal insurance for the staff), but also pays for unemployment, continuing education/certifications, rent and taxes on the property, etc. There is substantial amounts of money that go in to operating a daycare.

Bottom line: the daycare doesn't *make* much money.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Bull chit.

I don't care how much I pay for daycare. That money is the best money that I've ever spent. :lol:

No, really.....when factoring in that daycare (our daycare, anyway), provides for breakfast, mid-morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, and occupies the kids' time with crafts, activities, and schooling for the entire day, AND pays salary for a small staff (to include minimal insurance for the staff), but also pays for unemployment, continuing education/certifications, rent and taxes on the property, etc. There is substantial amounts of money that go in to operating a daycare.

Bottom line: the daycare doesn't *make* much money.

I agree.. The daycare we use is definitely NOt making a lot of money.. but I honestly don't think they are in it to get rich either.. AND they are FAR from charging us $7 an hour for Bubba.

They COULD charge $7 an hour, and apparently there are people out there willing to pay that much, but luckily we found a place that isn't in it just for the dollars.