Cost of Propane

lmor

It is time for me to have the propane tanks refilled. We lease the tanks from Suburban. We continued the arrangement that the previous owner had. Before I call them, I want to have an idea of the current cost of propane per gallon. So what have you paid recently?

black dog

Free America
Holy Sh!t.... Two weeks ago I had six hundred pounders filled at my shop for 1.39 a gallon...
Each holds 20 to 22 + - gallons each.

Edit..
I just called and today its 1.59

phreddyp

It is time for me to have the propane tanks refilled. We lease the tanks from Suburban. We continued the arrangement that the previous owner had. Before I call them, I want to have an idea of the current cost of propane per gallon. So what have you paid recently?
Get rid of them ! They have a history of raising the price of propane in the winter way above what you can buy from other dealers , sometimes twice as much or more. I've already been screwed by them with my rentals and personal house. NEVER AGAIN !

rheckart

For those replying with the lower prices, is this on a contract or COD? Suburban was screwing up my contract repeatedly, coming to fill an already full tank (I only use the propane in winter). I had to go COD and I have to call them when the tank gets to 30%. I'm embarrassed to say what I just paid to have them fill the tanks. I'll have to call around for the better deals!

black dog

Free America
I pay with cash or CC when I get my bill emailed to me. I usually drop off cash at the owners home here in town...

stgislander

PREMO Member
For those replying with the lower prices, is this on a contract or COD? Suburban was screwing up my contract repeatedly, coming to fill an already full tank (I only use the propane in winter). I had to go COD and I have to call them when the tank gets to 30%. I'm embarrassed to say what I just paid to have them fill the tanks. I'll have to call around for the better deals!
It is COD for me, and I rent the tank from Taylor. I pay online.

jrt_ms1995

It doesn't matter what others have paid; if you have no choice but Suburban, you will pay significantly more. Call Taylor's or another and have a few other tanks installed, then simply close off the valve to the Suburban tank until some emergency need comes up.

lmor

We have not been happy with Suburban overall. We are not on auto delivery; so we call and negotiate price (not always successfully) when need gas. The propane fuels the fireplace, so we do not use much. I will look into the ownership of the tank. Thanks for the advise and feedback.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Something I found when researching a tank: The 100lb tanks at someplace like Lowes look like a good deal, but they do not have a "service valve" on them. A service valve is required for home delivery. If you buy one of those tanks and swap out the valve, you will be paying just as much as buying a used (but perfectly fine and usable) 100lb tank from a gas distributor like Taylor. That's what I did. It only fuels my stove, and I don't use much. After 3 years, I requested a fill up and it only took about 10 gallons.

black dog

Free America
Something I found when researching a tank: The 100lb tanks at someplace like Lowes look like a good deal, but they do not have a "service valve" on them. A service valve is required for home delivery. If you buy one of those tanks and swap out the valve, you will be paying just as much as buying a used (but perfectly fine and usable) 100lb tank from a gas distributor like Taylor. That's what I did. It only fuels my stove, and I don't use much. After 3 years, I requested a fill up and it only took about 10 gallons.

You go to Three Mules in Mechanicsville and they will help you make a simple manifold with a fill valve that will connect two tanks together. One tank valve open and one closed or both open or closed.
They will sell you 100 lb tanks also.

General Lee

If they own the tank, you are f**cked.
Buy the tank and you can shop around.
Suburban wont let you buy the ones already at the house. You'll have to buy new ones. Ask me how I know. I hate Suburban. But yes, buy your own and then you're free to shop around.

willie

My one and only problem with owning your own is if something goes wrong. I had a rental house with two 125 gallon tanks. They were only used for heat and they went into the summer at 80% full. The following September the tenant says....no heat. One tank had a leak at the gauge and drained both tanks. Taylor Gas gave me a new tank and filled them both at their cost. That was a lot of money I didn't have to pay. That house used enough gas in the winter that there was no tank rental charge. My home has one 125 gallon tank to supply gas for an instant water heater and fireplace. That doesn't take much gas and I paid $85 rental fee. Taylor Gas is the way to go.