COSTCO

SamSpade

Wife and I decided to buy a basic membership. It's not close by for us, so if we shop there, it needs to be a large purchase and for bargains.

Our first trip, my wife already knew about three or four items she wanted and she found a few more, but it's a big place and we don't know it.
(Worse, the clientele must be among the stupidest shoppers I've ever seen - aisles wide enough for almost two cars and they still manage to block everyone else from going anywhere).

Anyone familiar with Costco that can say oh that's where we buy all of our....?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Anyone familiar with Costco that can say oh that's where we buy all of our....?

BJ's but yeah .... frozen meats like 10lb bag of chicken breasts, Canned Corn, Green Beans, Large box of Hot Dogs

mostly Frozen, Canned or Paper Goods

SamSpade

BJ's but yeah .... frozen meats like 10lb bag of chicken breasts, Canned Corn, Green Beans, Large box of Hot Dogs

mostly Frozen, Canned or Paper Goods

Well that IS what we got, but specifically stuff we couldn't get down here. Tortilla wrappers made of egg whites; chicken meatballs - stuff like that. My wife also found turkey hot dogs but we were at about a hundred bucks by then.

The place really is huge, and it doesn't seem to be logically laid out as BJ's is - for one thing, BJ's has all its food items in one section, all of its paper and household in another, baby all in another - it's rather straightforward.

USED TO BE I bought stuff like hamburger and chicken thighs and breasts in quantity at BJ's but since those days I have found other stores that can easily compete with their best bargain prices (except rotisserie chicken and pork butts, which are always cheaper). MAIN reason I go to BJ's at all is their water bottles, the big 5 gallon kind - which they are FREQUENTLY out of. If it weren't for a few products we get often - I'd quit.

Costco of course, being a forty minute drive - gotta be a good reason.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I bought a bag of the frozen honey barbeque chicky strips the other day. I forgot that I don't like them. You want the rest? I only took out 4 pieces, threw out two of them.

SamSpade

I guess that's a no? :lol:

For one - I still don't know precisely where you live, despite lots of explanations. But the main one is probably, I haven't any place to put it. Every freezer in my house is of the kind - open the door and jump out of the way from falling food. We can't empty them out fast enough. I can't believe I found a spot for my wife's frozen stuff this weekend, but mostly because they were small. We have a lock on the big freezer, but part of it is to KEEP IT CLOSED.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
When I had a slew of kids to feed I bought all kinds of stuff at Costco. Big packs of meat, cereal, snacks, produce, you name it.

The problem is that when you have a wealth of food, they eat it. So a giant box of cereal that was meant to last a week ended up being gone in two days. A huge box of chip packs for lunches would be wiped out in minutes. So the food money that was meant for a week ended up lasting a couple of days. I'd come back from Costco and they'd descend on me like locusts.

So I started buying bulk meat etc at Costco, and other stuff in smaller quantity at the regular grocery store. Ended up saving money because they'll ration the chips if there's only 20 packs of them. If there are 50 packs, they can't cram them in their mouth fast enough.