CotR: "Living Wage" According To Guest Columnist

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
"Living Wage" According To Guest Columnist MAJORDAWG!!!

Liberals love the phrase “a living wage”. They seem to see worker compensation as some sort of birthright. It’s as if they think the money that workers are paid springs up out of the ground with that money they use on everything else they love to spend on. They don’t see the connection between wages and business owners. If I had a nickel for every time one of my liberal friends or, sadly, uninformed former students posted something brilliant about how people need to make more in order to have “enough” money, well, I’d be able to pay everyone “a living wage”.

But business owners will only run their own businesses and employ people if they can earn a living that is (controlling for a few other factors) better than the one they can earn working for someone else. When it becomes less profitable to own your own business, the jobs go away and wages go to zero. But unions always want workers to make more, always. They see business owners as an unlimited source of income and expect them to pony up for the livelihood they believe their members deserve. However, there is truly only ONE way to approach this. Does the worker generate enough revenue to justify the wage he seeks? If not, the business owner is reducing his own income to favor the worker. That’s a charity and that’s not what business owners are doing.

In May, in several major cities, fast food workers went out on strike. In this example, McDonald’s workers walked out of a Detroit location asking for an increase in pay. Not surprisingly, they were organized by Charles Williams II, the Michigan leader of Al Sharpton's National Action Network, because of course Al has to put his finger in everyone’s eye at some point. The article, though poorly written, makes a great example of what happens when there are such work stoppages and demands made in low skill industries. Two workers were still inside this McDonald’s busting their humps to fill as many orders as they could, but the strike and slow service cut traffic for the business. And here’s the ringing indictment of the organizer’s intellect from his own lips; "I think everybody realizes it’s important for people who are at the bottom.. to get a raise because it helps everybody and it grows the economy," Williams said.

Sweet 16

^^8^^
"I think everybody realizes it’s important for people who are at the bottom.. to get a raise because it helps everybody and it grows the economy," Williams said.

What he and other idiot liberals don't get is when a business owner is forced to pay higher wages, they have to cut costs to stay in business and the first thing they do is cut hours, lay off workers and stop hiring the unemployed, so higher wages won't matter. And if nobody is hiring, no one has money to grow the economy. This does not even take into account the effects of higher taxes and Obamacare. Duh.

SamSpade

It's impossible, economically speaking, to have an entire economy built upon the premise that the lowest paying job is sufficient to raise a family on.

And any growing economy depends on citizens by and large striving to improve themselves, to make more money.

Of course, it's easier to bitch and moan and claim you deserve more money.

I know. I did that. I once held three jobs, all paying crap. I delivered pizzas, auto parts and morning newspapers on a motor route. My life consisted of going to work, then going to work, then sleeping a few hours until I could buy gas and go to work. My sole spare time consisted of a few hours on Saturday afternoon after the morning route, and Sunday afternoon. And the one or two nights I didn't deliver pizzas.

Trust me, I know all about working harder to get ahead. Eventually the pizza place guy offered me a management job, because I was his best driver.

You can't make it so the worst paying job is a living wage.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
It's impossible, economically speaking, to have an entire economy built upon the premise that the lowest paying job is sufficient to raise a family on.

You can't make it so the worst paying job is a living wage.

sure you can, it is called Communism ...

... everyone, but the connected political class lives in concrete apt buildings and a limited food supply, because it rots at the depot, because there aren't enough trains to move the harvest

SamSpade

sure you can, it is called Communism ...

... everyone, but the connected political class lives in concrete apt buildings and a limited food supply, because it rots at the depot, because there aren't enough trains to move the harvest

Communism is shared poverty.

Or rather, as it so often appears in communist nations, the rich live reasonably well and the masses live in misery. For every million in the big cities that live ok, there are ten times that many living in squalor elsewhere.

At least in this country, you can complain about and still live to tell the tale.