Couple loses $45K deposit due to virus cancellation

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
For that price, I hope they got the unlimited bar package.

It seems it would make good business sense for the caterer to come to some agreement. In essence the caterer got paid to do nothing.

A Hoboken couple who said they lost their lives' savings on a Bergen County banquet hall due to COVID-19 is fighting for their money back.
Jeremy and Laurie Lieberman paid $45,000 -- $250 per head -- for their May 30 wedding at The Estate at Florentine Gardens in River Vale, NJ.com reports.

The event was brought to a screeching halt due to the virus, and the venue is holding onto the Lieberman's investment, the outlet said.

in sickness and in health

UglyBear

For that price, I hope they got the unlimited bar package.

It seems it would make good business sense for the caterer to come to some agreement. In essence the caterer got paid to do nothing.

in sickness and in health
I'm a horrible person, to engage in schadenfreude, but dang, don't spend you life savings on just the deposit, for just one party! Crap happens, and then you are broke.

(there was a study somewhere that showed that marriage length is inversely proportional to the cost of the wedding -- the more you spend, the less it will last).

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I'm a horrible person, to engage in schadenfreude, but dang, don't spend you life savings on just the deposit, for just one party! Crap happens, and then you are broke.

(there was a study somewhere that showed that marriage length is inversely proportional to the cost of the wedding -- the more you spend, the less it will last).
The entire wedding was going to cost them $50,000. Not sure why they put down that much deposit. Perhaps to show they were serious in nailing down the date they wanted.

UglyBear

The entire wedding was going to cost them $50,000. Not sure why they put down that much deposit. Perhaps to show they were serious in nailing down the date they wanted.
Yay, starting your life together with horrible financial decisions! It's all uphill from there! /sarc

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I don't have any idea what my own reception cost, as the in-laws took care of everything but the bar tab. A bunch of ladies from Holy Angels pitched in to help MIL with the food. They were all giddy with excitement because most of the weddings in the 7D were planned with much shorter notice. 😉

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I got away cheap. $2500 for the lawyer. She took her stuff, I kept mine and the house. Whatever wasn't going to fit in her new tiny place she left behind. No alimony as she made way more than I did.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Damn! I think my parents and in-laws split the bill on $2,500 for our wedding back in June 1982.
Had the ceremony in a (then) 150 year old church, and the reception was in the banquet room of a 200 year old tavern.
That included a live band for the reception. Meal we had was prime rib and lobster, plus an open bar.